Emaline's Perspective

The day after Prom:

I could never make him want me. Like I wanted.

From the oldest moment I remember, I've always felt a connection to him, one that differed from  any other feeling. I wanted to be closer to him, I trusted him, since we were young, I swore that we'd be endgame.

Now I can see that I was the game. And he did make me come to an end.

On prom night, when my heart is still destroying itself, I take all I can just to make it seem Iike I'm okay in front of my boyfriend.

Just like before, he comes and ruins it for me.

He tries to have a conversation like he didn't just abandon me on my most vulnerable moment. Like he didn't just bring me on a mountain with no way to come down. 

I was deteriorating effortlessly. He still does that to me and I fully despise it. 

Arlo Woods is unhealthy for me. The more we stay apart the better.

I remember the day that my mom said to my face that she didn't want me. 'Emaline, I'm sorry...I can't...I just can't'. That was the defense she gave for the horrendous seventeen years of life I've endured. It was as if there was no hope anymore.  I was enraged at life, what did I do to deserve this? Wasn't I a good girl? 

How did I lose my best friend and the mom I never had in the same day? 

Now I feel different.

Arlo of course has his new life, all picture perfect while I sit in the corner and shiver from the cold. I'm happy for him but I never thought he'd be happy without me. It's as if I've been replaced with his new life. 

Why was I being so pathetic with him anyways?  I should've known that we never meant that much to him all along, I was just another one of 'them'.

Now when the sun shines, I don't feel hope, I feel empty. Like there's no use in trying anymore.

Arlo was always my comfort but of course, I don't have him anymore either.

I attempt to fix my racing thoughts.

'It feels dark right now but wallowing doesn't do anything and especially not thinking about the boy who pays no rent to live in my head'.