CHAPTER 5-State situations pt2

The top news story today was about how you federalized the National Guard but right now you were in the presidential bedroom watching the news with Jenna by your side 

Jenna: I honestly can't believe this is going on. can Plank legally do this?"

y/n: no...Governors do have the authority to mandate health emergencies but those emergencies don't give them the power to take constitutional rights from the people"

You finish tying your tie so you get up and kiss Jenna before taking a sharp breath

 y/n: And I'm going to New Mexico to tell the governor that"

Jenna: Stay safe okay?"

y/n: I always am Jen...besides, I'll be surrounded by dozens of secret service agents and national guardsmen "

You then walk out of the room and Mike looks at you 

Mike: Air Force One is fueled and ready mister President"

y/n: let's get going then"

Mike nods and leads you to the motorcade that's gathered outside the white house 

Mike: in case you forgot, here's a quick rundown of how today's going to go, first we'll drive to Andrews Air Force Base, and then you'll be flown down to Kirtland. From there Marine One will take you to the front of the protests where you'll walk ahead of them all the way to the capital"

y/n: the motorcade is too long to be following me, the protesters won't even be able to be seen"

Mike: sir, we're forgetting the motorcade and going straight to three cougar mraps and five Humvees, One Mrap will follow behind you, two Humvees on each side of you, and two dozen agents and guardsmen surrounding you"

y/n: sounds good to me Mike"

*scene change- Santa Fe New Mexico*

Marine One starts its descent behind a stage that has a podium on top of it standing in front of ten seats where a few sheriffs and police chiefs will be seated 

The protesters cheer and wave at you as they see you greet them through the window of Marine One, not long after your helicopter lands and the Marines open the door for you 

you salute them as you get to the ground, the Sheriffs and police chief then take that as a cue to walk to the stage and take their seats, as you get to the podium you smile and set your written-down speech on the top just behind the mic

y/n: Protesters, I join you here today to express my unwavering support for you brave and righteous protesters of New Mexico who have taken to the streets to protest the unlawful suspension of firearm carry by the governor... It is an inalienable right for every American and New Mexican to bear arms and protect themselves and their families in the most dangerous city in the state. The governor's decision to suspend this right is a clear violation of your constitutional rights and we must stand up and fight against this injustice! 

 We cannot let our fundamental rights be trampled upon by those in power. You. the people of New Mexico have already faced so much hardship in recent times and you deserve to be able to bear arms! 

The governor's decision to suspend firearm carry only exacerbates these difficulties and puts innocent lives at risk.We must come together as a nation and state to demand that your elected officials uphold the values and principles that this country was founded upon. you must stand in solidarity with the people of New Mexico and fight against this unjust suspension.So I implore every able and willing man and woman to join these protests and take immediate action to defend your constitutional rights! Let us not forget the sacrifices that were made to secure these rights and let us not allow them to be taken away so easily by a power-drunken so-called 'leader'. Governor Plank had abused his powers. violated your rights. violated his oath and has betrayed every single citizen he is supposed to protect!...standing behind me are several law enforcement officials that stand with the people and not Plank"