CHAPTER 7- Aftermath

After the White House and surrounding area were secured you were allowed out of the PEOC and after returning to the Oval you looked out of the window and saw national guardsmen forming a perimeter around the lawn. 

You sighed as your chief of staff, Jackson Williams walked into the office.

Jackson: The press conference is ready sir. 

Y/n: Alright, thank you. 

The man nods and you walk to the press room. Once inside your press secretary looks at you before looking at the press 

Johnson: Ladies and gentlemen, the president of the United States. 

Everyone stands and you thank Johnson before stepping up to the podium. 

Y/n: Please be seated. 

Everyone then sits down.

Y/n: First of all let me answer the question on everyone's mind; No we do not know who is responsible. Yes, we have suspects and we are doing everything we can to find those responsible... Of course, my heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones. what happened today was beyond horrible. 

You then pause to take a breath before continuing. 

Y/n: I will take questions now. 

Everyone raises their hand so you pick at random. 

Y/n: Rick. 

Rick: How do you plan on finding those responsible?

Y/n: How we always do it. By going over security footage, terrorism chatter, consulting our allies, and looking at our watchlist.  

Rick: You said you had suspects. Who?

Y/n: Serpens Ruber is the biggest suspect. They made threats matching this attack but we don't have motive or confirmation—next question. 

You then spend the next half hour taking questions before calling it a day but as you walk out you look at Mike.

Y/n: Prepare the motorcade...I want to visit the bombing sites. 

Mike: With all due respect sir,  I don't think that's a good idea.

Y/n: Why not? The sites have been secured and I'll be surrounded by the feds, military, and Secret Service.

Mike: We think we have the scenes secure and it's still a wild card. 

You stop completely before turning and looking at Mike dead in the eyes with determination.

Y/n: I'm not asking agent Banning. 

Mike sighs but nods. 

Mike: Understood. I'll need an hour or two to organize everything. 

Y/n: Thank you. 

Mike: You're welcome. 

You then make your way to the residence or more specifically the presidential bedroom where Jenna is currently located. As you enter you find her sitting silently just staring out of the window at the SAM's set up outside. 

Y/n: How are you doing?

Jenna: I'm worried and a little bit scared. 

Your heart starts to shatter as you hear how her voice is ridden with sadness, worry, and anxiety. All you want to do is comfort her.  

Y/n: You're safe here, Jenna. 

Jenna: Everyone who got hurt today thought the same Y/n. 

You pull up a chair in front of her before sitting down and taking hold of her hand. 

Y/n: Your right but it's different in here. This is the safest building on earth. There are safety features you don't even know exist.

Tears start building up in her eyes but you wipe them away before they have a chance to spill out. 

Y/n: I was planning on visiting the bombing sites but I can cancel if you want-

Jenna: No, you should go but I want to come...I'll feel better if I'm around you. 

You smile and nod before pulling her into a tight warm hug. After you both pull away you sit down next to Jenna and she rests her head on your shoulder. 

The two of you sit in silence for the next hour enjoying each other's company. but are forced to separate when you hear a knock on the door. 

Y/n: Enter. 

Mike then opens the door holding two ballistic vests. 

Mike: I assumed Miss Ortega would be joining you. 

Y/n: You assumed right.

Mike then hands Jenna her vest and she struggles to put it on so you help her out with the side straps. You then put on your own before grabbing Jenna's hand and following Mike out to the motorcade in front of the White House.

Not too long after the motorcade speeds off you arrive at the treasury building.

Upon getting out of the Beast you nearly fall to your knees as you stare at the pile of rubble and ash, Jenna gasps and clamps her hand over her mouth. 

You don't even know where to start as the Medics, Firefighters, Feds, and national guardsmen look at you tired and worn out.

You then walk toward a random person before shaking their hands and thanking them. You continue to do this with every single worker. 

You decided to do this at every site but while you do it at the Supreme Court building you spot a small statue of the Scales of Justice symbol in the ruined building. while you dig it out a few people gather around in curiosity, and the news crews in the distant crowd zooms in their cameras on you. 

After pulling the statue out you find it fully intact but with scorch marks on the face. You then stack several pieces of broken blocks on top of each other before setting the symbol of justice on it. 

You then ask one of the Firefighters for his bullhorn, He hands it to you and you turn it on.

You step in front of the small memorial you made, Proceeding to look back at the crowd you call out.

Y/n: does anyone have candles or flowers I can borrow?

A handful of people step forward holding the two items you asked for so you walk up to them before taking candles and flowers as you thank them. You then set the flowers down and the candles around them, After lighting the candles with your lighter you stand up and step onto the ruble behind the makeshift memorial. 

Y/n: Excuse me! May I have everyone's attention?

Everyone stops what they are doing to look at you as you step onto the rubble.

Y/n: A great tragedy happened today. We lost thousands of our fellow Americans. Thousands of loved ones...There's nothing I can say that will bring them back but I can promise justice..Normally I would not make this promise cause, normally, im wouldn't be confident that I could keep it but then I saw this Scale of Justice and I saw it as a sign. I see it as a sign that we will get justice for those we lost today. May the victims of this attack rest in peace, God bless you all and God bless the United States of America.

You step off the ruble and return the bullhorn to its original holder. Jenna walks back to your side with a smile and leans into your ear.

Jenna: That was beautiful Y/n.

Y/n: Thank you. 

After walking around the bomb site Mike pulls you off to the side and starts whispering to you

Mike: Keoning has some information you need to hear. 

.

.

.

.

.

AN: I'm starting to run out of ideas for this story already lol but I'll try my best. Have a good day and night.