chapter one

The sun shining bright over the garden  as the flowers came to bloom and giving them a radiant glow. The sound of birds chirping as they fly past. It truly is summer, I thought as I sat under the old peach tree with a book in hand. I inhaled the lovely afternoon scent that smelled of lavender and- pancakes.

A smile formed as I read the last page of my book. As I read the last sentence " Everyone deserves a someone and I found mine" it warmed my heart that she finally found her love. After all the struggles her love shone through the darkness.

I closed the book with a sigh and stood up. I patted my dress down and put on my hat. It blocked the sun as I walked over to the back door. " Audrey! Love the pancakes are ready!" My dad yelled. I giggled as I strolled inside. " isn't it too late for those" I asked hanging over the chair.

" it's never too late for pancakes" he said in a serious tone. We looked at each other and burst into a fit of laughter. " I'm going out!" Iris yelled as she descended the stairs. My dad turned around and his smile dropped. " dressed like that?" He asked with a raised brow. Yeah that is quite a revealing outfit you got there sis. " I'm 17, I am old enough to dress however I choose to" she said crossing her arms under her chest, making the dress ride up even more up her thighs.

My dad didn't like us wearing short dresses and skin tight outfits.  He says it's as if saying 'I'm all yours do what ever you like'  " as long as you live under this roof you follow my rules. Rule number 20 go change" my dad said pointing to the top of the stairs. She groaned loudly and marched back up. My dad put his hands on his hips and turned to me with a sigh. " what are the other 19 rules?" I asked and he chuckled.

My mom left after Iris was born, leaving my dad to take care of us. My mother didn't seem like the type of person to walk out on family. She loved playing with me and she and dad never fought. They were always lovey dovey with each other and even at the age of four I found it sickening.

Yes it was strange that she left but my dad has managed since then. He learned how to tie hair, cook and somehow have a good eye for fashion. I still wouldn't let him choose my clothes though.

Iris came stomping back down the stairs in a hoodie and jeans but I know for a fact that she is hiding that dress underneath. "Are you happy now" she said waving her arms up and down. My dad nodded and she sat down with a scoff. " watch your attitude missy" he said and turned back to the stove.

" so why are dressing like that?" I asked and she gave me a side eye then turned back to her pancakes. " fitting in doesn't always help you know " I said with a slight smile. She smiled back " is that why you're 21 and still single" she asked and that smile then turned into a smirk.

I rolled my eyes and poured syrup over my pancakes. " I'm waiting for the right guy to come along and sweep me of my feet. To ask me out for coffee and then we'd sit and talk for hours on end.  We'll go on dates, watch the sunset together with me in his arms and i want him to tell me he loves me and make me feel like I'm the only -" " that is enough dreaming for today. Also things dont always turn out as planned Audrey. " my dad said and took of his apron.

His smile was now gone and replaced with a frown. He looked out the window for a second but then smiled and turned to us. After my mother left he never spoke of her, not a word. When she is mentioned he tunes us out or tries to change the topic. We don't even have any pictures of her left. The only way we learned about her was when we found her diary that was hidden in the safe. Dont ask how we got into it.

" right" I said and turned to Iris and she gave me a knowing look. " dont you have to go shopping for college?" My dad asked and my eyes widened. I jumped off the stool and ran- wait. I turned my head to Iris who looked at me with a raised brow. " I need your help" I said and she smiled ear to ear. " love I'll make all the guys fall for you and want to fu-"  Dad narrowd his eyes at her and she looked away in embarrassment. " continue that sentence, will you Iris" my dad advised and she just smiled at him.

I rolled my eyes and continued up to my room.I sighed as my doors opened revealing my room. On my left stood my bed with a ring and curtains hanging over it with vines running down the walls. To my left stood my desk and art supplies. My desk and bed frame were white as well as my doors and window frames while my walls were painted a light forest green.

Though it was afternoon the sun still blessed my room with its radiant glow. Bringing more life into the room. I walked to my closet and opened the door to reveal the hundreds of combinations of clothing. I should start wearing these I thought while looking down at my usual hoodie and jeans.  Welp I'll do that now that I'm going to college.

Grabbing my bag I sprinted out of my room and down the stairs." Okay bye dad!" Iris yelled as she ran to me and dragged me to the door. She looked worried and a bit disgusted. With curiosity I dared to ask. " what happened ?" She looked at me  and smiled " dad decided to give ' the talk'" she said and my nose scrunched." Why don't we go to the shop" I suggest and she nodded in agreement as we rushed out as fast as possible.