An Almost Kiss

If Yeosang thought the preparations for Princess Yuna's welcoming ball were extreme, they were nothing compared to the wedding, now less than a week away. Yeosang didn't find himself particularly excited. After a while, all these events started to seem the same. And the attention wouldn't be on Yeosang, anyway.

Yeosang had been foolish enough to believe that he had gone from having one friend to two, but San had been avoiding him ever since they went to the garden. The servant stopped sitting beside him at meals, and Yeosang hadn't seen him once in the library. He tried to pay it no mind. Wooyoungie was more than enough.

But when Yeosang came to get lunch later than usual and saw San already sitting down, he couldn't help himself. He hurriedly filled his plate and sat down right beside him. "You have been avoiding me?"

"No, prince. I have simply been busy."

"With wedding preparation?" Yeosang pressed.

"Among other things."

Obviously, San didn't want to talk. Fine, Yeosang wouldn't bother him anymore. He slid a few feet down on the bench and tried to focus on his food. After two bites, he couldn't stop himself from speaking again. "Are you looking forward to returning to Cheshire?"

After the wedding in Aurora, Yuna and the royal family would take a trip to Cheshire in order to have another ceremony there. They would only stay for a few days, but it would be the first time Yeosang had ever left his kingdom. That he was looking forward to.

"I am not going," San told him.

Yeosang sidled closer again, abandoning his plate. "Why not?"

San didn't answer. Just moved his food around with his fork.

"Does it have to do with why you were disgraced from knighthood?"

Nothing.

"San."

For the first time since Yeosang sat down, San looked at him. He looked tired, Yeosang noticed. When their eyes met, it seemed that the servant's will to argue crumbled. "You aren't going to let this go, are you?"

Yeosang shook his head, and San sighed. "We cannot discuss this here. If I am to tell you, it should be in the presence of no other."

"Should we go to the garden again?" Yeosang suggested.

"Even that is too risky."

There was a chance that the gardeners could be around. But in the years Yeosang had spent going there, he'd only encountered them a handful of times.

"My wing in the castle?"

San didn't seem to like that idea either, leaving Yeosang exasperated. "Where do you suggest, then? Since you are apparently so much smarter than me."

"My bedroom."

"Oh." Yeosang considered the idea. "I have never been in the servant's wing."

"I would assume not."

San was speaking to him, and looking at him, but he still seemed so distant. Each answer was clipped.

Yeosang was no longer interested in his lunch. His curiosity had become too much. "Shall we go now?"

The servant looked inclined to argue, but Yeosang gave him a pleading look that had him quick to agree. When they rose, Yeosang saw Wooyoung rise as well from across the room. He gave his guard a hand signal to sit back down. Unwillingly, he did. He looked unhappy.

San led them to where Yeosang knew the servants' quarters were located. There was a stark difference between this wing and the rest of the palace. The halls were bare, lacking the gold detailing and art that covered the walls everywhere else.