Alone Again

Wooyoung escorted Yeosang out of the servants' wing, practically dragging the prince behind him until they were back in the main part of the castle. "My prince, I fear I was mistaken. Your mother does not want to speak with you after all."

"Oh, okay." Yeosang was glad to avoid a conversation with his mother. It would only be filled with her pestering, no doubt. And he didn't think he could face her after what he'd just done. Or, almost done. "I suppose I should go to my lesson, then."

"Are you alright, my prince? You seem shaken."

Yeosang wasn't the only one who seemed shaken; Wooyoung's face was a shade redder than usual and his hands trembled. But Yeosang put that out of his mind. "Yes, Wooyoungie. But I wish to go to my lesson in silence." He

For the rest of the day, Wooyoung stayed closer to Yeosang than usual. They walked side-by-side rather than the guard trailing behind him. Yeosang couldn't say he minded, it was nice to have a friend with him even if they didn't say much. 

And then, things started to go wrong. It started the minute they got to Yeosang's bathing room. Yeosang had just taken off his outer jacket.

"Prince."

Yeosang's fingers paused at the hem of his shirt. "What is it, Wooyoungie?"

"Have you ever considered the possibility that the reason you do not want to marry a princess is because..." The guard hesitated. "Because you would prefer to be with a male." He said that last part as a statement, not a question.

Somehow, Yeosang had known that Wooyoung would say something along those lines. This was too sudden; it couldn't possibly be a coincidence that Wooyoung would bring this subject up the very same day San did.

"You listened to my conversation with San." Yeosang didn't exactly feel betrayed. More like...disappointed. Was he not entitled to privacy? And his face heated up. Wooyoung knew that he was about to kiss San. He feared that the guard would judge him, or even hate him for it.

But the guard's eyes did not look judging, only pleading. "I apologize for eavesdropping, my prince."

Another realization hit him. "You knew my mother never sent for me," he accused. "You just did not want..."

"I felt the need to protect you from him."

Wooyoung may have apologized, but Yeosang knew he did not regret it. He crossed his arms. "My preferences, whatever they may be, would exist regardless of what San said to me, so do not blame him."

Wooyoung shook his head, turning desperate. "This is not about your preferences. Truly, I do not care. This is about San. He will hurt you."

"I realize that you are my personal guard, but you do not need to protect me from those who do not wish me harm."

"And how do you know that he does not wish you harm? You are naïve about a lot of things."

'Naïve' was just a synonym for stupid. By two different people, Yeosang had been called that word. Was he truly? There was no way to prove that San would not hurt him, it was just something Yeosang knew in his heart. "I do not wish to talk about this anymore. Do not bring it up again."

Wooyoung did not look happy, and Yeosang didn't like being the subject of his glare. "Either you are my friend," Wooyoung snapped. "Or you are my boss. Friends do not order each other around like this."

Yeosang gasped. His guard had never spoken to him in such a tone. His eyes had been burning with tears since their conversation began, but now they threatened to spill. He turned away. "You may take your leave early."