Middle of Nowhere

Wooyoung would leave the very next day. There was not much preparation needed to be done, not when Wooyoung already knew where he'd be going and would be going alone. He packed food and his warmest clothes, all under the watchful eyes of Yeosang.

"I will miss you," Yeosang said that evening. Never since Wooyoung was first hired as Yeosang's guard had they been apart for as long as they were about to be.

"And I you," Wooyoung replied. They occupied the same small couch in the library, as per Yeosang's request. Their timing was perfect, for Wooyoung had finally finished the book they'd been working on that night. Now, Yeosang could start a new one without him. "But I am certain it will not take as long as you think."

Wooyoung sat on the couch while Yeosang leaned against him, head on his shoulder with their hands intertwined on his lap. So, Wooyoung couldn't see Yeosang's face but had a feeling that he was frowning as he mumbled, "Still too long."

Yes, it would be.

They sat in comfortable silence for a while, watching the crackling fire. Then, as expected from two lovers who would soon be separated from each other, their lips found each other. They kissed slowly, taking their time, committing the feel of each other to memory.

And then, forgetting that they weren't the only two people in the world, they made love right there in the library. It was only afterwards that Yeosang blushed, pointing out that anybody could have walked in and seen them. Wooyoung reminded him that nobody except for them even used the library regularly. Them and San, if he returned.

Wooyoung knew many people would wonder why he'd volunteer to do such a thing. They might think he was a fool, but he didn't care what anybody else thought. What mattered was that San made Yeosang happy and beyond that, San had taken a blade for him. Wooyoung would never forget that. He hadn't even gotten a chance to thank him, though he hoped that would soon change.

~~~

Two. Weeks. Wooyoung had been gone for two weeks, and Yeosang was on the verge of insanity. He was tired of being alone. Not alone--he was surrounded by other people almost constantly, but lonely. And when people had the nerve to ask about his missing lover, Yeosang had to clench a fist to keep from lashing out. No, he would still be a kind king. 

Yeosang walked through the halls unaccompanied. He didn't want another, temporary guard. If it wasn't Wooyoung, then it would be nobody. 

He didn't see his mother as much as he used to; he had a feeling she knew he needed some distance. Jongho was practically nonexistent in the castle; if he left his wing, Yeosang didn't see him, which seemed to suit both of them just fine. 

One letter had come earlier that week from Wooyoung, letting him know that he was still doing alright though he still hadn't tracked down San, and that he probably wouldn't be able to write again because mail services in those small towns were close to nonexistent. 

Realistically, they could be coming back any day now. Yeosang's heart fluttered at the thought. As he sat on his throne, he wondered where each of them was at that very moment. Were they together, on their way back? Only time would tell. 

~~~

Wooyoung hated winter. It was the worst season, he'd just decided. Why exactly did he have the bright idea of doing this now, in the coldest time of year when no amount of layers truly made him feel warm in the bitter cold?

This would be the third town Wooyoung searched. He was beginning to wonder whether he'd been so clever with his maps, after all. As he'd already done twice previously, he walked into the first pub he found in that third town and marched straight to the barmaid. "Excuse me, miss."