First Dance

Yeosang was whisked away early in the morning on the day of his coronation. In contrast to the black he'd worn to the funeral, the seamstresses had created an intricate white outfit for him to wear--not quite a hanbok, but not quite a traditional tailored suit, either. It took quite some time to get him dressed, then the stylists did his makeup and hair. By the time they were done, not a hair on his head was out of place.

Wooyoung was somewhere else, probably getting the same treatment. Yeosang couldn't wait to see him. 

It was the quickest morning of his life and before he knew it, he was standing in front of the largest crowd he'd seen in his life. Not even this many people had attended Jongho and Yuna's wedding. 

Jongho...his brother was standing to his right, looking like this was the last place he wanted to be. In another world, it would have been him getting the crown today. Had he always wanted it? Had he always planned on trying to stop Yeosang from getting it?

~~~

Yeosang looked like an angel on that throne, yet Wooyoung forced himself to split his attention between Prince Jongho and Yeosang's mother, wary that either one of them might still try to do something before that crown was placed on his head. 

But neither of them did, and the golden crown was lowered onto Yeosang's head in front of them all. It looked heavy, yet Yeosang kept his head held high. His eyes found Wooyoung's easily as everybody clapped. Wooyoung smiled but Yeosang didn't; Kings didn't smile so easily, not in front of others. If anything, he looked slightly saddened to be sat on that lonely throne, but it was only for a moment and Wooyoung was probably the only one to see it.

The event was supposed to be a happy one. So, after Yeosang made a short speech about how he planned to lead Aurora into even more prosperity followed by another round of polite applause, the music began. 

Nobody was to dance, though. Not until the King did. There were surely many people in the room who were not happy that Yeosang was King, yet all eyes were on him in anticipation to see who he would choose as his dance partner. 

Everyone in the crowd parted when Yeosang rose from his throne and walked down the few steps to the main floor; everyone except for Wooyoung. Yeosang didn't hesitate to grab his hand and finally granted a smile for all to see, mirroring Wooyoung's own expression.

Wooyoung hadn't done much dancing in his life, but he knew the steps to the most common waltzes such as the one the orchestra was currently playing, and his body seemed to naturally know what to do. Yeosang was also a good dancer, though that was nothing new. They'd never danced together before but it felt effortless, as easy as breathing for Wooyoung to glide around the room with Yeosang in his arms. 

He couldn't bring himself to look away from the boy in front of him, but he felt everyone watching. Were their expressions filled with disgust? Awe? Shock?

That first song came to an end a short minute or two later and Wooyoung discovered that it was a healthy mix of the three. So dramatic, all these people were. Hands over their hearts and mouths wide open. Yeosang looked around at the other guests, none of whom had started dancing when the second song started to play.

"Dance," he said simply. Not angrily, but still an order. The guests had no choice but to overcome their surprise and find their own partner. 

Not everyone danced, though, and Yeosang pulled Wooyoung away to where other people were talking rather than dancing. 

"There are probably hundreds of people wishing to speak with their new King. It is traditional for me to stay on my throne while this happens, but I wish to stay next to you." Yeosang's eyes were big and questioning. "Will you stay with me?"