A Close Call

Wooyoung slept more soundly than he expected. As usual, he awoke before the sun had fully risen. Yeosang was still fast asleep. He'd drifted closer to Wooyoung throughout the night. Not close enough to touch, but close enough that Wooyoung could feel the other's body heat.

He stayed there for a few extra minutes, wishing he could wake up like this every day, before he rose. The last thing he needed was for somebody to come barging into the room and find them like this.

He managed to slip out of bed without waking the prince and went to wash his face and get ready in the bathroom. When he came back to the bedroom, Yeosang stirred. "Hm?" His bleary, confused eyes were probably the most adorable thing Wooyoung had ever seen. Then, Yeosang saw him and smiled. "I forgot I was in Cheshire for a moment," he mumbled, lips formed into a slight pout.

"Indeed we are. How did you sleep, my prince?"

"I had a strange dream. I dreamt that we..." Yeosang's cheeks turned pink and he looked away. "Never mind."

Wooyoung would have prodded further, but a knock at the door interrupted them. Wooyoung went to open it, revealing the same female servant from yesterday. "Pardon the interruption," she said. "But the Queen wishes me to remind Prince Yeosang that breakfast will be served shortly."

"Thank you. I shall let him know," Wooyoung said, dismissing her. He looked to Yeosang, who groaned.

"I have just woken up and now I must eat breakfast with two royal families."

"You do not have to go," Wooyoung pointed out.

Yeosang considered. "That is true, but these days my mother seems short with me. I wish to appease her in hopes of stopping her nagging."

The prince got ready quickly, with the help of Wooyoung, and Wooyoung escorted him to the dining room. Yeosang turned to face him before he went in. "You should go to the dining hall to eat something. Surely you must be hungry."

He was. Of course he was; he'd missed dinner yesterday, but he was surprised that the prince knew that. Usually, he didn't notice such things. Wooyoung dipped his head. "I shall be back before you finish your meal," he assured the prince before going off on his own.

~

Everybody was waiting for Yeosang when he sat at the table. It pleased him that they waited for him to arrive before eating. It made him feel important.

"Son," his mother said as the food was brought in by several servants. "What are you planning on doing with your day?"

Yeosang looked at her, confused. "There are no plans for us to do things together?" He'd expected that they would stay together as a family for the most part.

The queen looked apologetic. "We will be together for the ceremony tomorrow, and then the carriage ride after. Today is reserved for more diplomatic meetings while you children may do as you please."

Yeosang didn't like being called a child, nor did he like being left to entertain himself in this new kingdom. Things were no different than they were at home.

"Perhaps you could go horseback riding," Princess Yuna suggested. "Cheshire is famous for our strong horses and beautiful pastures."

Yeosang nodded, liking the idea. "Thank you, princess. I shall do that."

He wasn't used to eating all his meals with his family and was soon reminded why he didn't do so often at home. He was bored sick after the fifth question he'd been asked by his mother. Yeosang wasn't sure when it would be polite to leave the table--he hadn't studied Cheshire's customs very closely before coming here--but when Prince Taehyun excused himself, so did he.