Homecoming

Snow was falling on the day San and Wooyoung returned. It was in the early afternoon; Yeosang had just eaten lunch and went back to his duties in the throne room when one of the double doors opened.

But that door had opened plenty of times in the past few weeks. Yeosang had stopped getting his hopes up that it would be Wooyoung because he would then have to face the disappointment of the guest just being a messenger, or a servant, or even his mother.

Still, his eyes moved on their own accord, shifting his attention from yet another proposal he'd been reading to see who had entered...

A servant.

Yeosang deflated. "What is it?" He asked, trying unsuccessfully not to sound annoyed.

The servant bowed. "My apologies for the interruption, Your Majesty, but I have word that your guard has returned."

Yeosang's heart leapt. "Alone?"

"I do not know, Your Majesty."

"Where is he?"

"His carriage has just arrived. He should be on his-"

Yeosang couldn't wait that long. He rose from his throne and had never been so glad that the throne room was close to the castle's entrance. He halted at the castle gates. True to the servant's word, a carriage was waiting outside.

But more importantly, them. Two people. Yeosang had half-expected Wooyoung to return alone, which would have been perfectly fine and Yeosang would have welcomed him happily while concealing his disappointment. Seeing San in front of him was something he'd hardly let himself imagine. 

They had already gotten out, both clad in all black, and their heads shot up when Yeosang appeared. Yeosang was relieved to see that Wooyoung looked mostly the same as ever, if only a bit tired. As for San...well, he still looked handsome, but it didn't look like his life away from the castle had been easy. Yeosang itched to go up to him but he hesitated at the gate. What if San was mad at him? What if he didn't like Yeosang anymore? What if-

"Did you not miss me, prince?" San smiled. 

That was enough for Yeosang to abandon his King's image. He ran down the steps and through the snow just so he could tackle San into a hug. San grunted at the impact but remained upright, immediately holding him tightly. Yeosang didn't know whether to smile or cry at the familiar feeling and was pretty sure he ended up doing both.

"It seems that you did," San laughed before gently pushing Yeosang away. "But you should really let me bathe first."

As if Yeosang cared about that now. He just took in San's beautiful face. San's skin had always been so smooth, that much hadn't changed. His lips were dry and cracked yet Yeosang itched to kiss them.

He refrained. Instead, he looked past San to Wooyoung, who was already looking at them with a faint smile. "You are a genius, Wooyoungie! I cannot believe you found him."

"He didn't make it easy," Wooyoung said, glancing at San before he moved closer. He seemed the slightest bit uncomfortable, though Yeosang wasn't sure why. "We should go inside," he went on. "You must be freezing out here."

Yeosang had forgotten all about the falling snow but after Wooyoung mentioned it, he shivered. "Yes, let us go inside."

He took one of their hands in each of his and led them inside, the others trailing behind him as they left the servants who had just come outside to take care of their bags. He kept looking behind him to make sure that San and Wooyoung were truly there. "I really did miss you, both of you."

"We missed you, too," San said, squeezing his hand. "Your name came up in many of our conversations."

They ascended the stairs leading to Yeosang's wing. "Did you two talk a lot?" He'd always been disappointed that San and Wooyoung seemed to dislike each other before. They hadn't exactly left on bad terms, but Yeosang wouldn't be surprised if San harboured some resentment toward Wooyoung.