Chapter 12

We both paused outside the archway just out of sight. The angry voice continued.

“Why can’t you behave more like Irene, she’s not a great example but at least she has some decency to remain composed? Go and study and there shall be no more of your shenanigans.” He boomed followed by a chorus of ‘yes father’.  The mopey six, left through another archway further down the corridor. I hadn’t noticed but Sebastian has moved us into the shadows had me pressed up against the wall with his back slightly in front of me. “Sebastian, I see you found her,” the voice soften, Sebastian gave my hand a little squeeze and brought me through the archway into the large room, I had been taken on my first night as a mer. I had inched my way behind Sebastian and quickly glanced up at the king before shying away further behind his back. “Still a bit of an introvert I see,” he mused.

“I wouldn’t say that,” Sebastian said smugly. I felt tempted to flick his ear, but that would be a repeat of the last time. So instead I poked him in the ticklish spot under the ribs, making him coil as he tried to suppress a laugh. The king however let out a hearty laugh surprising the both of us.

“You two are a hilarious couple. So Aubrey, how you liking Sebastian?” the king asked placing his head in his hand and peered down at me.

“He’s good,” I squeak back, peering over Sebastian’s shoulder. He nodded in agreement.

“Did he take you to any place nice?” he smiled giving me all his full attention, as his white beard flowed gracefully with the subliminal currents.

“We went to Australia,” I said smiling a little before I remembered the disappointing reason why we went in the first place.

“I take it wasn’t an entirely successful trip,” he concluded, my face probably giving it away. I nodded slowly. Sebastian stretched his arm back and took me by the waist and brought me to his side where he wrapped his protective arms around me. “You got to try a bit harder lover boy. You’re very lucky she even accepted that minyorni. You’re disgracing the tradition with that tacky piece,” he chuckled pointing at my neck with his truck tire of a finger.

“Yes I’m very lucky,” he whispered for me to hear but I wouldn’t be surprised if the giant heard it.

“Honestly mate, take her out to dinner or something, I bet she’s already cooking for you, because she’s tired of eating your second rate grub.” I was shocked at the way this guy was talking, he was royalty, right? I struggled to stifle my laugh, as it was more or less true.

“You traitor. You’re supposed to back me up,”” Sebastian whined, playfully poking my sides making me laugh even harder along with the king.

“You had it coming, you are terrible at cooking. I didn’t want to be mean, but…,” I couldn’t stop laughing when he looked at me in disbelief. I forced a straight face and looked at him. “I would love to go out for dinner, thanks for asking,” I grinned my effort vanishing. It was about time he started acting like the boyfriend. I had never been on a date before, but judging from all the movies and overhearing some of the girls at school, it would be fun. Though I think dinner might have been a bit to higher level to start with, even if we had already skipped to being ‘engaged’.