Chapter 21

Of course, I didn't bother to talk to my dad the next morning since I don't like talking to homophobes. (Look, sorry if I sound like a jerk, but come on. You have to see my way with this.) All I did was say good morning to my mom and glare evilly at him.

"You're not going to say good morning to your father, Jesse?", My mom said.

"Who?", I asked pretending to be confused.

"Your father.", She said in a more serious tone.

I looked around as if I had lost something, completely ignoring to the man sitting at the table reading the New York Times.

"Jesse.", My mom said to me in a harsh whisper.

I sighed dramatically and turned to the homophobe. "Good morning... dad."

He peeked his eyes over the newspaper. "Good morning."

He still had an asshole- like tone in his voice that just pissed me off further. I just wanted to give him a peace of my mind, but you know what they say: Respect your elders.

It really should be respect someone if they respect you since clearly that's not working out between my dad and I.

"I'm going to the football game this Friday.", I said out loud- to no one in particular.

"Oh, how nice.", My mom said.

"No you're not.", My dad said right after.

What the hell?

"Why not? It's the last game I can ever go to before graduation. I've never even been to one.", I protested.

"When you learn respect, then you'll get to go where you want.", He said not looking up at me.

This man has a death wish!

"Dad, I'm not a kid. You can't do this. I'll be 18 in two weeks."

"I don't care. This new attitude is not going to cut it, Jesse.", He said.

At this point, I really didn't care what he told me not to do. I'm going to that game. What's the worst he could do to me that wouldn't involve child protective services coming?

"Ok, dad.", I said to him calmly. "I won't go."

"Good.", He said without looking up.

My phone suddenly vibrated on the table. I saw a text from Blake when I picked it up.

"I'm outside.", It read.

He was pretty early but I wasn't complaining. My top priority was getting far away from that homophobe as possible so I don't tempt myself in beating his ass.

"My ride's here.", I said scooting away from my plate of barely-eaten bacon and scrambled eggs. "Bye."

"Bye, hun.", My mom called after me.

I scooped up my bag from the the floor at the bottom of the stairs and made my way to the front door.

"Bye.", I said again waving at my mom before closing the front door.

I walked over to Blake's car parked on the side of the road and tried to smile as much as he was smiling at me. At least I have that to look forward to in my everyday life.

"Hey.", I said getting in his car then kissing him.

He waited for me to buckle my seatbelt before putting the car in drive.

"Starbucks?", He said reaching for the cup in the cup holder and holding it out to me.

"Uh.", I said thinking about it. I wasn't really a coffee person.

"It's decaffeinated. You won't die. Plus, I know you like Frappuccinos.", He said.

"And how do you know that I like Frappuccinos?", I asked taking the cup from him.

He took up his own cup and drank some from the straw before replying. "I know things. Plus, how can someone not like a Frappuccino?"

What can I say? They are pretty damn good- when they're decaf.

"I just thought it would be nice to get you something since you were sort of down yesterday.", He said.

"Thanks. That's really nice of you.", I said, slurping the drink.

I know it's just a drink from Starbucks but coming from Blake it really means a lot. I just keep feeling as those I have to repay him.

"You don't have to repay me.", He said suddenly.

"What?", I said surprised. "Are you talking to me?" I couldn't believe how coincidental his reply was.

He chuckled. "Yea. You're the only one in the car, so. I'm just saying that you don't have to repay me with anything. You already give me everything I ever wanted."

I smiled at him silently as he stared ahead at the road. His statement was so powerful I didn't know what to say. I loved him even more after hearing that.
__________
"Are you going to the game?", I asked Alex when Blake and I arrived at school and met up with him in the hallway.

Alex took his math book out of his book bag and placed it into his locker then slammed it shut. He looked at me with a blank face. "I told you that I hate football." He looked at Blake next to me. "No offense."

Blake scoffed. "None taken."

"I'm actually going movies with my cousin since he's visiting from Florida.", He said.

"Oh.", I said. "Any word from NYU yet?"

"Nope.", He said in low tone. He looked Blake. "Where are you planning to go Blake?"

"Cornell University."

"Whoa. Really? All the way in Ithaca? That's a three-hour drive from here.", I said in dismay.

"Where are you planning to go?", He asked me.

"NYU- less than an hour from here with good traffic. Then again, you know NYC.", I said. "But I was thinking we could at least be close to each other so we wouldn't have that far to go to visit."

Blake wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me closer to his side. "I would drive a hundred miles to visit you if I had to.", He said kissing me on the forehead.

Alex adjusted his book bag strap over his shoulder restlessly. He rolled his eyes away from us. "You both can enjoy your honeymoon later. We have a U.S. History class to go to."

"Yes, mom.", I said sarcastically to him.

Alex whispered "Oh my gosh." under his breath and turned around, heading for the classroom.