Chapter 5

I was pretty mad that night and plus, I hadn't drank blood in quite a while so I decided to take out my anger on a deer. Don't worry, it was hunting season anyway and I usually like animals- when I'm not going on an angry, blood-thirsty rampage. I understand many animal activists and lovers will be angry with me but reason that is the circle of life and I'm just a wolf than kills a deer won't feel half as bad as I did.

I was on my way home that night when I happened to pass through the woods, behind Blake's neighborhood, (No, I don't creep around his house and stalk him in my free time.) when I see a car pull in on the side of the curb of a house. But it wasn't Blake's. I ducked behind a bush and watched from a distance.

After the car was shut off, I could see Blake and Ashley getting out of the car, both the of them looking pissed off. Ashley had her arms folded and I heard her sigh from afar.

"I don't want you talking to him ever again, Blake.", Ashley said pointing at Blake.

"Who are you to tell me who I shouldn't talk to? Jesse's my friend."

"Oh please. You barely talked to him before today."

Blake stepped closer to Ashley with his eyes closed and I swear I wanted to bring out some popcorn to watch this conversation go down.

"What you said to him today was totally uncalled for, Ashley, and you know it. If you're not going to respect the people I hang out with, then...", Blake stopped himself as he looked at Ashley with a hard expression.

"Then what? You'll break up with me? Fine. Do it! It's obvious you want to be with that stupid fag anyway rather than me!"

"Don't call him that!", Blake suddenly slapped Ashley across the face making me jump since I never expected it.

"Whoa.", I said quietly to myself.

Ashley immediately brought her hand up to her reddened cheek and looked at Blake with disbelief. I think I even saw a tear rolled down from her eye. Blake's angry expression soon turned to a shocked one after he realized what he had done. He looked down at his hand like it was something he had never seen before.

"You're sick, Blake. You know that?", Ashley wiped another tear from her eye with her sleeve. She was trying to hold back crying. That obviously wasn't working out to well for her. "I hope you're happy now because I never want to see you- talk to you- whatever- again!!"

She walked past him roughly bumping her shoulder against his arm as she went to the front door of the house.

She was about to open the door when Blake said "Ashley."

"What?", She said bitterly turning back to him.

"I am happy."

I almost blew my cover when I wanted to yell out "Oh my God", but I was able to stop myself. I really needed that popcorn.

Ashley grunted and rolled her eyes before she finally went inside the house and slammed the door behind her.

Blake had an almost relieved expression on his face. He went back into the car and rest his head on his arms over the steering wheel. He was like that for what seemed like forever so I was tempted to make a move on him there but I figured he would wonder why I had been watching Ashley and him the whole time behind a bush at 10:32 pm.

My cell phone goes off just as Blake starts up his car and silence it so I can watch him drive off. After he was out of sight, I started on back to my house. I kept replaying the moment when Blake slapped Ashley in the face. I know it sounds bad but I actually smiled each time I thought about it. I mean, she deserved it! But I also smiled at the fact that Blake's actually cares about me.

As I got to my house, still smiling, I decided to get inside through my bedroom window. It's a classic, yet risky way of avoiding confrontation with your parents when you come home late. But of course, it didn't go as planned.

Apparently, my dad was in the living room and he saw me through the window just as I'm scaling the side of the house like a burglar.

The front door opens and all I heard was, "Jesse! What in the hell are you doing?"

I fell down when his voice startled me but I didn't injure myself. I just stood back up and brushed myself off casually.

"Why are you home so late? No- when did you leave home is what I should ask. And is that blood on your jacket?"

"Uh. No. It's not blood. Definitely not blood. I was over at Alex's... working on a project. Yea, that's right. We had to paint a bunch of stuff red and the paint got on me." Worst. Lie. Ever.

My dad looked at my quizzically and it was obvious he wasn't buying into it. "Last time I checked, red paint doesn't look like dried blood-"

I hurried past him into the house. "Sorry, dad. I'm really exhausted so I'm heading for bed. Good night!" Another bad lie. Vampires don't sleep. But he doesn't know I'm a vampire.

I ran through the door and up the stares ignoring my mom's call to me from the kitchen. When I got in my room, I just shut it behind me and plopped myself down on the bed.

When I heard footsteps coming up the stairs, I shut off the light and tugged the covers over me- at vampire speed. I closed my eyes and tried breathing as if I were sleeping.

The door open after a few moments and it was my dad. "Jesse? Are you asleep already?"

I kept quiet so it was obvious that I was "sleeping". I heard him walk over to my bedside so I kept my eyes shut and prayed he would just leave me be and go.

"Hmm. Good night then.", He patted my head then I heard him leave and shut the door behind him.

I waited a few seconds just in case he wanted to come back in to catch me awake before I got my phone out of my pocket. I started texting Alex about what happened.

"Alex, you'll never believe what happened!"

I waited for his reply which took a few minutes.

"What happened?", When he replied, my phone went off and I scrambling to turn down the sound. It's always on maximum volume when I don't need it to be.

I paused for a few moments to make sure my dad wasn't coming back.

"Don't worry, I'll tell you tomorrow at school.", I replied.

"Wtf. Then why did you entice me by sounding like you were going to tell me?"

"Don't worry. I'll tell you tomorrow. And if my parents ask, we were doing a project tonight that involved red paint."

"Uh, ok."

I plugged my phone into it's charger then set it on the bedside table.

You know how humans stay up all night thinking about things instead of sleeping. Well, it's worse with vampires since you can't sleep period. So every single night is just me lying in bed for hours thinking about things. It sucks because you don't get tired. What's so bad about not getting tired, you say?

Humans take sleeping for granted. It's a time for your mind to reset, start fresh and forget about what happened that day or, in my case, remember. There are no 24 hour days as a vampire, there are just infinitely long days. The plus side is that all-nighters don't exist for me.

And so, I spent the next eight hours replaying Blake's slap in Ashley's face and silently laughing to myself.