Chapter 10

After several minutes of Blake and I being outside, I heard the cafeteria door open and it sort of freaked out so much that I jumped. Blake, on the other hand, was unaffected by it.

"Hey, guys. You coming back in or-", Alex stopped and raised his eyebrows .

Blake and I froze and looked at him as we were still embracing each other. Alex pursed and wrinkled his lips at the awkwardness. He started making random sounds emit from his throat as well as some mumbling of a made-up song.

He began slowly walking backwards toward the door and said, "Well, um. I guess you both are occupied by something else. I'll just leave you two to that, then."

Alex gave me a wink, but it wasn't one of those sly, brief winks. It was the type of wink someone would do if their eye was hurting them or something. Like a grandma wink. Yup. In other words, Alex made it obvious. I rolled my eyes at him and I felt Blake's chest quiver as he tried to hold back his laugh.

Then, just as I was going to be relieved that Alex was leaving, he continued taunting the situation and raised his eyebrows up and down at us mischievously.

"Can you go now?", I said impatiently.

He grinned at me then disappeared behind the door. Finally! I turned back to Blake and he pulled me closer to him. Blake took my hand in his and curled his fingers between mine in a clasp.

"Whoa. Aren't you cold?", He said feeling my hand which, apparently, was ice cold. Another beautiful thing of being a vampire.

"No, I'm good.", I said looking down at our hand clasped together then back at him.

He kept looking at me with that intense stare as if he was trying to analyze an intricate painting. (Yes, I basically described myself as a masterpiece- because I am.) I clenched my teeth as I returned his stare. No one had ever looked at me like that much less, that long. I couldn't decide if the situation was, yet again, awkward- but in a good way- or... or... I couldn't find the words for it.

All that mattered was that Blake had finally convinced me that he liked me. My crappy 193-year life just got a whole lot better.

"Um...", I started to say but trailed off. I was a nervous wreck to be honest.

Blake's eyebrows raised a little as he waited for me to say more. "Yea?"

"Uh. So, uh.", I stuttered.

"Um? Uh? What the-?", Blake chuckled and I smiled along with him. "Jesse, what do you need to say?"

"Oh. I was just wondering if we could go back inside and enjoy the rest of the party."

He gave out a dry laugh which transitioned into another chuckle. "Then why didn't you just say so? Come on, then."

He unwrapped his arms around me and grabbed my hand to tug me along with him. He opened the door and moved so that I could go through first. I heard him follow closely behind me.

The party was still pretty lively. People were dancing as if it were a night club instead of a simple school dance.

Suddenly, however, my ears did that annoying thing again. The music was too loud and everyone was talking over it. It was chaos to me. But why now since I was fine the first time that I went inside.

I placed my hands over my ears involuntarily and tried to look as natural as possible. It's kind of hard since I was the only person with my hands over my ears like an idiot.

Blake came around me to face and looked at me quizzically. "Jesse? Are you ok?"

"Yea.", I tried to say sly.