Closure

(After "Big Decisions". Inspired by another photo off Instagram)

Wade felt stuck. He was happy. He had the girl of his dreams, he was gonna help her with her future career, his family and boss were helping in putting Firetown back together. Something was missing. There was some part of him that still felt unfulfilled. Is it the fact that he still doesn't know what he wants to do in his life? Then, he figured it out. He made up with Ember after they had that fight that night. But there's one person he still needs to make up with. He made up his mind. He knows how's he's gonna do it.

Later

Ember was helping her father out when her mother came through the door.

Cinder: Ember. Your Water Boy is at the door. He wants to see you.

Ember blushed at hearing her mother's choice of words about Wade.

Ember: Ok.

She came outside and saw Wade. She grew a flirtatious look on her face.

Ember: Well, well, well. Guess you couldn't wait to see--

She paused when she saw Wade's somber look on his face. Ember grew worried.

Ember: Hey. Are you okay?

She came close and put her hands on his face to wipe the tears.

Wade: I have something important I feel like I have to do today. I just wanted to let you know.

Ember felt worried.

Ember: Is something wrong? You aren't in trouble, are you?

Wade: I'm going to visit my Dad's grave.

Ember immediately felt surprised.

Ember: Oh. I guess it's nice to talk and-- Wait. Why?

Wade: I just wanted to talk to him and maybe try to make up with him. Find a sense of closure. It might help me.

Ember: What do you need help with?

Wade: I'm stuck. I mean don't get me wrong. I love you. And I love helping you out and I'm excited to be helping you out with your new job, soon. But, I'm not so sure--

Ember: That you wanna be an inspector? You're still not sure what you want to do?

Wade: Yeah.

Ember: And you feel like you'll find out the answer by talking to your dad?

Wade: I don't know. Maybe the reason I can't find my purpose is because I haven't fixed things with him.

Ember: Why would you think--? Wait, did your dad say something to you?

Wade thought about it.

Wade: Ok. When Dad was still alive, we got into a few fights because I was having trouble with jobs. I guess he didn't like that his son kept getting in trouble or getting into fights. The one that hurt was when he said he didn't want a useless son of his in his house.

Ember was shocked to hear this side of her love.

Ember: Oh, Wade.

Wade: And that was the night before his stroke.

Ember went to hug him.

Ember: It's okay.

Wade hugged her back.

Ember: Can come with you? That way you won't be in this alone?

Wade smiled.

Wade: I'd love that.

Later

Ember and Wade finally made it to a cemetery. Wade bought some flower to lay at his grave. He saw the name.

Dewey Ripple.

Wade: Hi, Dad. It's me. Your son. Wade. And this is Ember.

Ember: Hi.

Then Ember stood back and let him have his moment.

Wade: Anyway. I just came by to talk it out. Dad, I know we didn't have the best relationship. We fought a lot. I know I'm not the perfect son. I lost a lot of jobs.

Then he realized something.

Wade: Then I met Ember. I mean we didn't get off to a great start. I almost shut down her dad's store. Then, after hearing her out, I wanted to help her. Because she's a nice girl. She doesn't deserve to be hated or put down by society.

Ember was touched.

Wade: And she was kind of in the same boat as I am. And in a few months, we're going to be away for her to get a job in glassmaking. You would've loved to see her in action, Dad. She's amazing and so creative.

Ember started shedding a few tears.

Wade: Anyway. I don't know what I'm going to do, yet. I'm not sure that I wanna be an inspector forever, but I know for sure, that as long as Ember and I stick together, I think we'll be okay. I love you, Dad.

Ember watched him. Like a proud mama.

Wade looked back at her. She smiled. Then she came over to the grave.

Ember: Thank you for your son.

Wade smiled and hugged her. Ember looked at him and kissed him. Wade kissed back. Then they released and looked at each other.

Ember: You're so brave. I'm proud of you.

Wade: I was scared.

Ember: Yeah, but you still did it, even though you weren't scared. That's bravery, Wade.

Wade smiled at her.

Wade: I still don't know what I wanna do in my life. But I know that I can't exist in a world without you.

Ember smiled back. They both left the cemetery. Walking hand in hand.