Chapter 16 Gear up

"The weapons you carry vary from person to person. It then follows that the mthods to hone said weapons differ with each and every one of you.", Ego spoke and folded his hands together. "Simply following the same steps Messi took will result in your weapon wasted. Your own unique weapon, the core of your very foundation will evolve into an even greater asset only with its strength multiplied in this matter. You must seek your own playstyle and make it exeptional. Unpolished gems are nothing but dirt until their talents have been honed to crystal clarity." 
The video of the Blue Lock boss ended with that. An announcement picture for the next match appeared instead. Team W vs team Z. Beneath it, a countdown for 24 hours was set. 
"Our game is less than a day...?", Iemon muttered.
"A countdown for our next match, huh?", Naruhaya stared at the monitor. 
"Alright, that's it, for today.", Kuon shouted. "Let's all got to rest early to be ready for tomorrow." 
The other guys followed him out of the training field. The only one left was Yoichi. He looked down to his shoulder. 
'Rank 265, huh?', he thought. 'Why am I still at the bottom? Shit.' 
The teen walked to the side line, where he placed his water bottle and took a sip out of it. 
'I don't know, but somehow... this free playstyle from Hinata-San is still not my own playstyle. Something inside of me sets limits for it and I cannot disobey them because they feel like the laws of physics.' 

"Do you know how the human learned to fly?", Shoyo asked his disciple at the very end of their small private training camp. 
"They invented the airplane. The Wright brothers. Easy.", Yoichi answered that question. 
"Yep. But how did they invent the airplane in the early years of the 20th century?", the 'sensei' furthered out his question. Yoichi staid silent and stared into the emptiness. 
"What's the meaning behind that question?", Yoichi asked after a while. He didn't really get what human history had to do with sports like football or volleyball. Apart from the fact that those sports were invented by humen, but that's not the point, since no one is talking about the way some sport like basketball or badminton were invented while they're watching a game. It's just not the way to do it. At least not if you want to bore someone to death. 
"What does human history have to do with sports?", Yoichi added. 
"Now, now. A lot. The air plane was a invention combined through two inventions.", Hinata explained. "The Otto-egine and the glider. Because of the engine, thrust and enegy can now be added to the plane while it is in the air making the long run up to catapult a glider into the air meaningless. That's the point where human history connect with sports." 
"What does it mean?", Yoichi asked inpatiently. 
"Quite easy. Figure it out." 
"What does it mean?",  Yoichi asked again without even thinking about it for a second. 
"Sometimes you don't need to search for something that doesn't exist to create something new. You can combine two or three already existing things and make that combination your own new thing.", Hinata said. "Consider it as a path to victory." 

Yoichi stood up and rethought the thing his coach told him, "You can combine two or three already existing things and make that combination your own new thing." 
'A combination of powers, huh?', he thought as he started to practise one of those dribbles he got from beach football and then swiftly changing to his own stop and go dribbling style. A turn around and then a shot to the goal out of the dribble. Deadly accuarcy under any conditions. Yoichi could go with that. Just right now after his fifth goal he started to relate to the decisions of his brother coming home very late at night. 
'One more.', Yoichi thought and stroke the ball again. Just in that moment, Iemon ran to the goal line and jumped for it. The goalkeeper got his fingers on it and pushed it out of bounds. 
"FUCK!!", the raven haired shouted. 
"Can't really skip on you.", Kunigami now spoke behind him as he too shot a ball into the direction of Iemon which was actually cleared away by Kuon. 
"That's not fair, I'll join too!", Bachira now cheered and started to dribble into the direction of the goal. Soon everyone but Chigiri was on the field training. 
"GET READY TO LOSE, TEAM W!!!", Igarashi screamed.