Max's Reconciliation Part 1

Monster In My Head has reached a thousand reads and I wasn't even paying attention. This story is so unbelievably close to my heart and the thought that even a tiny portion of the world has enjoyed it too, warms my heart.

As a celebration for the story reaching 1K, I wanted to release some scenes from the scrapped sequel. There was a Max sub plot, after he calls things off with Madison. The plot follows his struggle with his father and with Madison. I figured these scenes might bring some closure to readers. Without further ado, here is Max's Reconciliation.

Max took a big breath as he clenched his bag's strap tighter. It was his first day in his marketing class, and he hadn't been this nervous since he asked Mr. Vernon for permission to date his daughter.

Now's not the time to think about her, Max, he scolded himself as he took another slow step towards the room's door.

He felt his heart thumping wildly as he took yet another step. For some reason, there was a voice inside of him, urging him to turn around and walk away and don't come back.

He was so caught up in his own anxiety that he didn't notice the student standing next to him, giving him a bewildered look.

"Are you going to go through the door or not?! What are you doing?!" The student finally said.

Max jumped, turning to see who the voice belonged to. It was a man, looking to be just a bit older than Max himself. The student quirked one brow, gesturing towards the door.

"Come on, let's go."

Max smiled sheepishly. "I'm just nervous."

The student replied with a blank gaze. "First time?"

Max shrugged. "Maybe."

The student finally smiled, if only slightly. "Don't be nervous. At least not for today. First day is always just syllabus day. We just sit there while the professor tells us what torture they plan on putting us through for the rest of the term."

Max grinned at that, nodding. "Alright, that makes me feel better. Thanks."

Without any more hesitation, he turned and opened the door, stepping inside.

He wasn't late, nor was he early. A good portion of the seats were already filled up, the professor at the front of the room. The professor looked the epitome of business casual. He looked like he was in his thirties, his hair shaggy but not unkempt. His outfit was a nice balance of professionalism and casualness. It was just a button up shirt and an expensive pair of dark jeans.

Max finished his assessment of the professor, smiling slightly more. He looked friendly enough, like someone he could end up talking to at church. A bit more confidence in his step, he went to grab a seat sitting across from a couple other students.

Once a couple more students came in, the professor smiled, a subtle indication that he would begin. "Hello students, you can call me Professor Davis. I have been teaching here for five years now. I have a major in marketing and advertising. Before I worked here, I worked at a pretty big advertising company as a district sales manager."

"I like to think of myself as being pretty laid back. And I am looking forward to teaching you guys. Now, if you will look at your syllabus, I would like to go over the course objectives. Then we will move onto the assignments planned for this term."

Max nodded to himself, turning to the page of course objectives. His eyes widened at the long paragraphs before him, his breath getting caught in his throat.

Next was the page of assignments, and it wasn't any better.

They had two small assignments every week, along with one large assignment due every week. He gulped and he could've sworn the room got quite a bit warmer.