Chapter 27

Saturday evening, Madison sketched in one of her many notebooks, as she listened to lo-fi music. She let her pencil lightly move across the page, drawing the feelings and thoughts that constantly went through her mind.

A girl in a dress, in the middle of a wilderness. She stared at the sky, the brilliant blue hidden by brush and wildlife, light just barely getting through the trees. On one side of her, holding her hand, was a girl in all white, practically glowing. On the other side though, was a girl in all black, foreboding and dark.

Suddenly Madison's phone rang beside her. She picked it up and saw that it was Neveah. Her eyes widened in surprise. Neveah had avoided her ever since the accident. Why is she calling now? Madison answered:

"Hello?"

"Hey, Maddie. How are you doing?" Neveah replied, her voice quiet and seemingly hesitant.

"I'm doing okay... How are you? It's been a while."

"Yeah... It has. And I'm alright. I know we haven't hung out in a while... And I was wondering if maybe you would like to..." 

Madison frowned. "Like to what?"

"Spend the night... At my house." 

Madison lowered her phone from her ear, not knowing how to feel. Part of her felt excited. But a part of her felt it was only her inviting her out of pity, and she didn't want that. Madison sighed, closing her eyes, wishing she could trust this. "I don't know, Neveah..." Madison said, raising the phone to her ear again.

"Maddie, please... I miss you. And I think you could use some time out of the house." 

Madison couldn't help but smile. "You sound like my sister now," she teased lightly. 

Neveah giggled in reply. "Does that mean yes?" 

Madison's smile grew a little. "Why not?"

***

"Alright, it worked. Madison's out of the house. How's your part of the plan going?" May asked. 

Max's voice replied. "We're heading over there now with the cargo. Make sure you clear up a space in her room."

"Yes sir!" May said. 

Max laughed in return.

***

Madison arrived at Neveah's house. She had come here a couple times before to stay the night, before the accident. Even so, she felt butterflies fill her stomach as she approached the door. She knew it was ridiculous, but she couldn't help it. She knocked gently and soon the door opened to show Neveah.

"Neveah!" Madison said happily, wrapping her up in a hug. 

Neveah laughed and hugged her back. "Good to see you again, friend. My parents have missed you too. Come on in." 

Madison followed her in, closing the door behind her. Neveah's mom, Mrs. Evans, approached her. "Hi, Mrs. Evans," Madison said, reaching out her hand for her to shake. 

Mrs. Evans smiled and took it, before pulling her into a hug. "Hi, Miss Maddie. It's good to see you. Stop being a stranger." 

Madison let a sad smile creep onto her face as she pulled away. "I'll try."

"Alright, well, let's get your bag put away. I don't suppose you've had supper yet?" Neveah said, gesturing for Madison to follow her.

"No, I haven't."