Chapter 4 (Edited)

Max groaned through the whole morning as he got ready for school. He didn't even bother to do anything with his hair. Not that it needed styling anyways. He groaned as he came in the living room and grabbed his bag. He groaned as his sister Nicole grinned at him. He started to walk out the door when Nicole called his name. He groaned and turned to her, running his hand roughly through his wild, dark hair.

"What?" he growled. 

Nicole smiled. "I think you might be forgetting something," she said. 

He frowned, looking around. "No, I got my bag, my phone," he paused and looked down at himself. He groaned one last time when he realized he was still shirtless. "I'm starting to think I just need to go back to bed," he grumbled as he went to his room. Nicole laughed and went out the door.

***

The second Max walked into Algebra, his mood changed. Because at that moment, when he saw Madison across the room, he remembered their bet. Thus, he grinned and skipped towards the back of the classroom. He sat down next to her, then shot her his most obnoxiously charming grin.

"Why, hello there, Miss Madison. You sure are looking quite fetching this morning," he said, layering thickly the flirtatiousness. 

She rolled her eyes, resting her head on her hands. "You're a real piece of work, you know that?" she said. 

His grin became sly as he leaned towards her. "How observant of you...Anything else you want to tell me you've noticed about me?" he said suggestively, his voice low. He laughed as her face reddened five shades.

"You better cut the flirting or my sister's going to have your head," she reminded him, turning away.

***

Madison tapped her pencil hard on her notebook paper as Algebra class winded down. She could feel Max's smug eyes on her. She did not want to tell him about her secret place. It was hers and hers alone, and that was something she couldn't say about much. She needed to come up with a plan and fast.

She thought about simply refusing to tell him, but a deal was a deal and she didn't exactly want to lose his friendship. She also considered admitting that she did in fact have some secret boyfriend, but it didn't seem quite believable coming from her.

Eventually class was over, and she still didn't have a plan. Her only hope was that he'd allow her this secret.

***

As class went on and Madison continued to squirm, Max slowly started to feel guilty. It was obvious to him that for some odd reason she really didn't want to let him in on where she was going. Unfortunately, her hesitance only made him more curious and desperate to know. So, when class ended, he forced down the guilt and hung back with Madison. Once the classroom emptied, he came to her side.

"So, Miss Maddie? Spill." 

She sighed and turned to him. "If you absolutely must know, I've been sneaking off campus to go across the street to the church," she said. 

His eyes widened as a grin came to his face. "You don't mean Second Chance Baptist, do you?" he asked. 

She nodded. "That's the one." Max looked away, his grin growing. Madison rolled her eyes. "What?" 

He returned his gaze to her and shrugged. "Nothing. Just didn't figure you as a religious type."

"Yeah, well, I am. Okay? I want a refuge from school for thirty minutes and for me, that's a church." 

He crossed his arms, stepping closer, peering into her eyes. "And why do you feel like you need a refuge from school?" he asked, lowering and softening his voice. 

She shook her head, stepping back. "That secret, I'm keeping, thank you." He gazed at her for a long moment, studying her and she soon got unsettled by his watch. "Are we done now?" she asked. 

He sighed, looking away. "I guess. Go enjoy your 'refuge'. I'll see you in gym."

She nodded, leaving the room. After a moment he followed, heading towards the cafeteria.

"Second Chance Baptist, huh? Who would've thought..." he mused quietly to himself.

***

Brian's mind was troubled as he jogged that day in gym class. He couldn't get Madison out of his head, but more-so couldn't get Madison and Max out of his head. Deep down he had a feeling Max was more her type. More mysterious, more impulsive...more...attractive. He forced a smile when May caught up to him.

"Brian, I have an idea," she said. 

He glanced at her. "And that is?" he asked, his interest piqued.

"What are you doing this weekend?" 

He furrowed his brows, confused. "Nothing really. My parents will be out of town so I'm just watching over the house for them. Why?"

"Do they mind if you go out this weekend? Maybe invite a friend over a few hours?" 

Brian slowed, even more interested. "Not really. Where are you going with this?" 

May grinned. "Madison flourishes when she has one on one time with someone. You get her away from the hustle and bustle, you're almost guaranteed to make strides with her." 

Brian sighed, shaking his head. "Madison's not ready for that with me, May. You know that." 

Her smile didn't waver. "I do. But that's not what I'm suggesting... Second best is if you get her mostly alone. With someone she trusts by her side." 

Brian grinned as what she was trying to suggest dawned on him. "You want me to invite Madison AND you over?" 

May's smile grew. "You got it!" 

Brian nodded in agreement. "Alright then! Saturday I'll swing by midday, buy some ice cream, then we can rent a movie and watch it at my place."

"Sounds like a plan, Brian."

Author's Note

...

What even IS motivation anymore?