Chapter 2 (Edited)

"Madison. Madison. Madison!" 

Madison groaned and opened her eyes to see May looming over her. 

May's eyes widened at the sight of Madison's bloodshot ones. "Whoa, Maddie. You're looking a little rough. Hard night?" 

Madison rolled her eyes and pushed May away so she could get off the bed.

May left the room and Madison got dressed. She looked at herself in the mirror and frowned. She saw what May meant. She put some light-colored eye shadow on and some brown eyeliner. She blended out some concealer under her eyes for her bags.

She quickly brushed her hair, then grabbed her phone and bag.

"C'mon Maddie! We're late! I called my friend, Brian, he's picking us up." 

Madison's head shot up at his name. "Brian? As in Brian Cohen?!" she asked in alarm. 

May halted on her way to the door, turning and smiling at her. "Yes. Brian Cohen. Make sure to thank him."

With that, May went out the door and Madison quickly followed her. After a couple minutes, Brian's white Mitsubishi was parked in front of their house. He grinned at them from the driver's seat:

"C'mon on in, ladies. Plenty of room." May went around and got in the passenger side and Madison got in the back. "Buckled?" he asked. Madison and May nodded, and Brian took off.

In about thirty minutes, they were at the school. Brian parked and turned off the engine. Madison started to open her door and get out, but before she could, Brian leapt out and opened it for her. She watched wide-eyed as his expression went from panicked frenzy to a casual, charming grin.

"You look very nice, Miss Madison," he said, offering his hand. 

Madison slowly took it, standing. "Thank you," she said quietly.

He closed the door behind her but made no move to let go of her hand. Madison stared at their hands in bewilderment. She looked up to him and smiled sweetly at him. His face colored slightly as he smiled back. He gently squeezed her hand, then let go.

"Gotta go. See you girls in gym," he said as he walked away. 

Madison nodded and May waved goodbye. Once he was out of earshot, and they had started walking, May glanced at her.

"I saw that whole exchange between you two, you know," May said, smiling. 

Madison quirked her brow. "Exchange? You mean when he opened the door for me?" she asked.

"Yes, but he also didn't really want to let go of your hand," May explained.

"He didn't?" 

May laughed. "It was obvious, Maddie." 

Madison rolled her eyes. "So many flipping context clues to read, it's far too confusing for me." 

May laughed once again. "You'll learn," she assured her. 

Madison could only pray she would.

                                                                                                   ***

"So, Max, why won't you go out with me?" a girl with red hair and emerald green eyes asked Max. 

Max resisted the urge to gulp as she leaned dangerously close to him in the hallway. Instead he grinned at her. "Reina, I have gone out with you. I quickly learned that was a mistake though," he replied, crossing his arms.