Chapter 3 (Edited)

May waited on the bus for Brian to get on. Though all three of them rode together, it was only two to a seat, so Madison always opted to go to the back of the bus to sit alone and listen to music, leaving a spot open for Brian to sit next to her. Brian got on and quickly slid in to sit next to May.

"So, what's up, May? You never texted me last night. What kind of spy are you?" Brian teased. 

May chuckled. "Sorry, was laid up with homework last night. So, here's the rundown..." May told him what Madison told her. 

Brian frowned in response. "He...asked...for her number?" he growled. 

May laughed nervously. "Yeah, apparently. But I did convince her to block his number." 

Brian sighed, his shoulders sinking. "Yeah, but the fact that he asked for it means that he probably does want her. Not to mention it's not a good sign that she gave him her number in the first place." 

May sobered, seeing there was some truth to what he said. "Well, that just means you need to work harder to earn her attention. Hang out with her more. Why don't you sit with her at lunch today?" she suggested. 

Brian mulled it over for a moment, then turned to her. "I would but I never see her at lunchtime. I'd figure she sits with you, but I never see her with you." 

May frowned. "I don't actually know where she goes, to be honest. She just kind of disappears around lunchtime," she admitted. 

Brian grunted. "I'll keep an eye out for her then."

                                                                                                   ***

Madison came off the bus and started towards the school entrance. To her disdain, she sighted Max, who was already looking her way. She groaned and inwardly wished she hadn't come today. She looked away, hoping he would catch the hint and not approach her, but she heard someone coming towards her. When she looked, she saw it was Max coming. She made an impulsive decision, turned and ran.

She heard Max laugh from behind her and take off running after her. Before she could get far, he had caught up to her, grabbing her from behind. She squealed and laughed as he pulled her against him.

"Wanna tell me why the heck you left an ominous message before completely ignoring my texts?" he asked against her ear. His breath tickled, making her giggle. 

She turned in his arms until she was facing him. "I might've blocked you...," Madison said quietly, feigning an innocent look. 

Max's eyes widened and he huffed, releasing her and stepping back. "You blocked me?!" 

Madison laughed quietly at his offended reaction. "Yeah...sorry..." she went on to explain to him what happened. 

He straightened, sobering. He crossed his arms as he responded. "So why doesn't your sister trust me?" 

Madison's face reddened and she nervously scratched her head. "She thinks you're a player, so she's worried you're going to...ask for...pictures," Madison answered quietly. She watched as Max obviously fought to keep a straight face, but soon a laugh escaped. Madison shifted her weight, giving him an unamused look. 

He regained his composure and cleared his throat. "Sorry, excuse me for being a childish male. I'm serious now. Why would she think that I want that when I never said that I was into you?" 

Madison shrugged. "You did ask for my number and that added to your past...Well, it paints a picture." 

Max let out a bitter laugh, throwing his hands up in frustration. "Ok, my past? What the heck is up with these rumors about me? So, I date around a bit. That automatically makes me a player and a bad person?"