Chapter 10 (Edited)

A week later, Madison was getting books out of her locker when she noticed an envelope in the back. She frowned and pulled it out. On the envelope it stated: "To Madison". She opened it and saw that it was a birthday party invitation. Upon further inspection, she read it was not just any birthday, but Brian's.

She sighed, her eyes going heavenward. She had always hated parties. And the only people there she would know would be Brian and May, and they'd both be busy with their friends at the party. However, she didn't want to make Brian upset and she did feel flattered he invited her.

For a while, she mulled it over, not realizing it was almost time for class. The bell rang and Madison groaned, stuffing the letter in her bag. She took off running to Math class. She took her usual seat next to Max. He shot her a welcoming grin and she returned it.

***

Class ended and Max followed Madison out. He put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close. "Permission to go with you to the church?" 

Madison rolled her eyes, removing his arm. "Permission not granted. It's nothing personal, but that's my private time. My sanctuary." 

Max pouted. "Even after our day together?" 

She nodded, looking earnestly remorseful. "Sorry."

Max relented, leaving her side.

***

Later that day, Madison slipped into May's room. She was on her bed, talking to someone on the phone. Madison frowned, starting to leave when May called out to her.

"Wait! I need to talk to you too." Madison paused and May quickly finished her phone call. "Alright, come here. Sit down. I have a feeling I know what this is about." 

Madison sheepishly sat across from her, toying with May's bed sheets. "He invited you too?" Madison asked quietly. 

May laughed. "Obviously. You're here because you're not sure you want to go, right?" 

Madison nodded. "You know how I am with parties." 

May shook her head. "I do, but Brian doesn't. He's going to feel pretty hurt if you don't go. Besides, I think you'd really like going and getting to know our friend group." 

Madison scrunched up her nose. "Really? Aren't they all the athletic types?" 

May laughed. "Some, yes. But we also have several artsy friends. Even a few quiet types like you. Anyways, Brian and I are the 'athletic' types and you get along with us, don't you? Just because they're athletes, doesn't mean they're going to look down on you for not being one." 

Madison went silent, thinking it over. Abruptly her head shot up, her eyes widening. "What am I going to get him?!" 

May laughed. "Is that a yes?" 

Madison nodded. "Only if you help me pick out a gift though."

***

The next Saturday, Madison stood at Brian's door, gift bag in hand, heart in her throat. Soon May was behind her, having joined her after parking the car. She saw Madison's face and let out a sympathetic sigh.

"C'mon, Maddie. Don't be nervous." 

Madison shook her head defiantly. "I'm not nervous. I was just waiting for you." Before May could argue, Madison rang the doorbell to prove herself. A moment later, the door opened to show Brian standing there. 

He smiled at them. "Hey guys! Glad you could make it."

Madison and May returned the greeting as they walked in. As Madison started to brush past him, he leaned close, whispering in her ear: