Chapter 9 (Edited)

Max: "Hey. What are you up to?"

Madison smiled at his text that Saturday as she laid in bed. She swiftly replied.

Madison: "Just relaxing. You?"

Max: "I was relaxing. But I've just been commissioned."

Madison chuckled, she could hear him saying that in her head.

Madison: "Lol. That's too bad."

Max: "It's alright. You're gonna keep me company while I run errands in town."

Madison outright laughed.

Madison: "You plan on texting me all evening?"

Max: "Why would I need to do that when I'm at your door?"

"What...the...heck..." Madison said to herself. Her mom's voice carried through the house to her.

"Uh...Madison...there's someone here asking for you."

Madison rolled her eyes, jumping off her bed. She studied her appearance in the mirror. Her ear-length hair was pulled into a flimsy, messy top-knot, her attire consisted of pink pajama pants and a black tank top and generally, she was just a mess.

She sighed, quickly yanking off her pants, switching them out for jeans. As she took down her hair, she for the first time in a long while was thankful it was short. She spent a measly five minutes brushing through it.

She grabbed her phone and purse and ran to the door. There Max stood, grinning somewhat nervously as her mother studied him and her dad glared at him. Her dad realized she was standing there and turned to look at her.

"You wanna tell me who this punk is and why he's standing here, asking for you?" he asked with a growl. 

Madison scratched her head, putting on a forced smile. "He's a friend of mine. He has errands to run and wanted some company," Madison explained. 

Her father's brow lifted as he turned back to Max. "Company, eh?" he asked, suspicious. 

Max's eyes got wide, his hands shooting up in surrender. 

Madison's face reddened as she massaged her forehead. "Dad, it's not like that. He's not interested in me that way." 

Mr. Vernon went quiet but still seemed unsure. 

Her mom smiled softly at Max. "If we do let her go with you, could you please tell us where you're taking her and when she'll be back?" she asked. 

Max crossed his arms, the grin dropping off. "I have to go to the post office, library, drop by the church," Madison's eyebrows rose, "and then probably finish with some ice cream. So... around 2:30." 

Mrs. Vernon shrugged. "Sounds okay to me," she paused to look at Mr. Vernon, "honey, what do you think?" 

He sighed. "Fine. But I'm watching the clock. And I'm coming for you if she's not back three minutes past 2:30." 

Max's eyes widened once again, but he nodded. "Not a problem, sir. I'll probably have her back three minutes before 2:30." 

Mrs. Vernon and Madison laughed, but Mr. Vernon only continued to glare at him.

Max cleared his throat and turned to Madison, offering his arm. She took it, going out the door with him. She said bye over her shoulder before the door was closed. 

Once they were no longer watching, she drew her arm away, glaring at Max. "Really, Max?! You don't think it's a bit inappropriate to show up unannounced like that?"