Chapter 13 (Edited)

Saturday night Madison prepared for her first official date with Brian. They were going rollerblading. Madison felt only excitement as May carefully did her makeup. After a moment, May stepped back, examining her work. She smiled with pride.

"You look perfect. It helps though that my canvas is so naturally beautiful." 

Madison rolled her eyes, smiling. "Oh, stop." 

May laughed.

A knock sounded on the front door. Madison jumped to her feet, letting out a little happy squeal before briefly giving her a sister a squeeze.

"Have fun, Maddie!"

"I will!" Madison yelled back.

Madison opened the door and Brian's face instantly brightened. He pulled her into a hug, but as they embraced, her dad walked up. Brian's face paled as he released her.

"Have her back by 11:00, am I understood?" 

Brian nodded. "Yes sir." 

Mr. Vernon then smiled, surprising the couple. "And have fun." 

Brian smiled back. "We will."

Madison shouted goodbye to her mom after kissing her dad on the cheek. Brian put his arm around her and led her to his car. She got in and he promptly closed the door for her and got in beside her.

"You excited for tonight?" He asked as he started to pull out. 

She nodded. "I am. I do however have to confess that I've never skated before." 

He laughed. "Then this should be an interesting night."

***

Interesting it was. Madison stood, watching in awe from the sidelines as Brian speeded around the rink, skillfully avoiding passersby and doing tricks as he went. Finally, he came to a perfect stop where she stood at the entrance to the rink.

"Okay, like, what the heck?! Is there ANY sport you're not good at?" 

Brian frowned, considering it for a minute. He shrugged. "I suck at chess," he offered. 

Madison glared at him and squished his face between her hands, but in doing so lost hold of the bar and fell forward. Brian caught her, pulling her back up. 

He held her close, grinning at her. "Already throwing yourself at me, eh?" 

Madison's face reddened and she pinched him, eliciting a little yelp out of him. "Now's not the time to make me flustered, Brian! And chess is not a sport!" 

He laughed. "I know, I know. I'm sorry. Come on," he said, taking her hand, pulling her forward. Madison hobbled towards him. He smiled softly.

"Pick up your feet, baby. It's just like taking steps, but when your foot comes down, you push a little. Try it while standing in place." 

Madison nodded, his advice somewhat making sense. She grabbed the bar with both hands, trying it a few times. Once she got the pattern down, she carefully turned to him. 

He spread his arms. "Come get me, baby." 

She rolled her eyes. "Don't make me feel like a toddler, Brian." 

He only laughed in reply. She carefully started to move towards him. She smiled as she got closer.

"I'm doing it, Brian! I'm doing it!" 

He laughed. "You are." She had almost reached him when he moved back. 

She glared at him. "What the heck was that for?"