Max's Reconciliation Final Part

Max watched the raindrops slowly wind down the gravestone, as if the clouds were crying with him. He studied the name etched on the stone, as if the person who owned the name sat across from him.

He slowly set the roses he brought down on the grave before him, taking a deep breath and leaning his head back. He closed his eyes, letting the gentle rain fall upon his face. The cold wetness of the raindrops helped to soothe the numbness the pain had created inside him.

He almost didn't notice the person sitting down next to him. If it wasn't for the gentle pressure on his shoulder, he wouldn't have. He furrowed his brows in confusion, lowering his head. He opened his eyes to look beside him to see who was there.

His heart leapt at who he saw. After almost a lifetime of refusing to come see his mother's grave, here was his father. Sitting beside him, looking at the grave. To add to that, there was tears in the stoic man's eyes.

Max opened his mouth to speak, to say anything. But he couldn't get the words out, so he let the silence settle between them, blanketing them in its comfort as they both stared at the grave.

Memories went through both of their minds. Memories of a much happier family, a happier time. Yet the memories were stained by the knowledge of what the matriarch of the family had been hiding. The darkness and the sadness she buried until it destroyed her, and later the whole family.

"I'm... sorry," his dad finally said, in a voice so small it could've been mistaken for the wind.

Max felt a sob overtake him at the utterance. He brought his knees up to his chest, hiding his face in them as he wept. His dad pulled him in close, cradling him to his side. Max had never felt anything more comforting than when he felt his dad kiss the top of his head as he cried.

"You were right, son. You always were. And the truth is... I couldn't be more proud of the man you've become. In fact, if anything I'm just jealous of how much a better man you are than me. You're stronger, you're... happier. I would die for what you have, Max. And I couldn't understand it. It made me so mad to see you truly living after what happened to your mom. Watching both you and Nicole, only constantly reminded me how much of a failure I was of a man and of a father. I couldn't bear it."

"So I hid from the truth like the coward that I am."

His dad paused to turn to him, tipping Max's chin up so he would look at him. Max was in awe at the complete vulnerability and earnestness in his father's eyes. The fortress around his emotions had finally opened up to let Max inside.

"I may not be able to forgive God yet, but I do thank Him for making you into such a great man. It's obvious to me that He was a much better father to you than I could've been. I owe Him one for that."

Max smiled slightly, shaking his head. "God doesn't keep record of debts, Dad. He loves His children more than even the best parents."

His dad smiled back, his with more of a sad note to it. "I don't quite believe that, Max. He should've taken better care of His daughter, my wife, then. But that's okay. I'm just glad you do. It was wrong of me to discourage you in believing in something that's only ever helped you and your sister. And if music is your dream, you should go after it."

Max's smile widened. He gripped his dad in a tight hug, reveling in the bliss of the moment. The bliss of finally having the dad he wished for.

"I want to be more of a father to you and Nicole. I'm ready to try, at the least. Even if it is terribly late. I'll need some help, some patience. But I would love to try, if you'll still give me that chance," he said.

Max nodded eagerly as he moved away. "Of course, Dad."

And that day, the little boy inside him was finally at peace. 

Author's Note

Max's story, though a sub plot, was the one part of the sequel I did feel at peace with releasing. The rest  of the story just didn't feel right, or have an impact, but Max's story was the one part about the sequel I wished I could've released.

Thanks to Monster In My Head reaching 1k, I had an excuse to release it lol. Thank you so much for all the support over the years <3