Chapter 16 (Edited)

Something felt off to Madison Monday. Her boyfriend's shoulder wasn't as comfortable on the ride there, his hand holding hers didn't feel all that natural, his peck on her cheek didn't give her butterflies or make her feel warm. It felt almost as if she was pretending to be someone else. Like she was no longer herself.

This oddness made her feel moody and by the time she walked into Algebra, she had a headache. Her eyes strayed to the back where Max sat. To her delight, he glanced up at her, but quickly looked away.

Suddenly she imagined him holding Reina and kissing her passionately like she had seen them do a week ago. Her stomach turned at the memory and she felt like vomiting. She quickly ran to the nearest bathroom and gripped the sink. She looked at herself in the mirror once the wave of nausea passed. What's wrong with you? she asked herself. She smoothed her hair back and straightened. She took a deep breath and walked out.

To be met by Max. He gazed at her, concerned. "Are you alright? You just made a mad dash for the bathroom." 

Madison reddened but nodded. "Yeah, I'm okay. My stomach's been feeling a little funny today. I probably ate something yesterday I shouldn't have."

"Oh... Well, okay. You sure you don't need to see the nurse?" 

Madison shook her head. "No, it's okay. It's starting to feel a little better now." 

He gazed at her a moment longer, the old, caring Max. Soon though, he straightened, reverting to his strange coldness again. "Okay, well we need to get back to class. Our teacher will be there any minute." 

Madison nodded and followed him back.

Class went by in a blur of math lingo and math problems and for the first time in her life, Madison couldn't grasp any of it. Once it finally ended, her headache was pounding.

As they walked out, Max noticed her clutching her forehead and stopped to stand with her. "Maddie, are you okay?" he asked, his voice filled with concern yet again. 

She nodded, removing her hands from her forehead. "I'm fine. Just have had a headache all morning." 

His brows furrowed and he moved close. "Madison, a stomachache and a headache? Your face is flushed too. Are you sure you're not sick?" he asked, raising his hand to feel her forehead. He frowned further. "Your head doesn't feel warm."

Madison found she couldn't think straight with his hand on her forehead or his close proximity to her. Before she could second think it, she blurted:

"Will you go to the church with me?!"

***

Max moved back quickly, startled at her request. He thought about it, but one of the first things that came to mind was the almost kiss with her. He closed his eyes and swallowed. He opened them, the memory gone.

"I... don't think that's a good idea..." 

Her face paled and she straightened. "Yeah. You're right. I don't know what I was thinking," she paused and started to walk away, "see you in gym". Max caught up to her and grabbed her wrist. She turned to him, looking slightly annoyed.

"Wait... are we okay?" 

Her eyes widened and she breathed a disbelieving laugh. "I don't know! Why don't you tell me?! You've been acting cold to me all day! You only started to pay attention to me when you thought I was sick!" 

He stepped back, shocked at her tone. His face reddened, averting his gaze as he scratched his neck sheepishly. "You've been cold to me too. But then you just randomly invited me to the church with you... You're kind of giving me mixed messages."