Chapter 21 (Edited)

"Madison..." Max watched her jump at the sound of his voice, turning to him.

His heart was racing when he caught Madison holding the razor. He felt himself pale and felt a little faint, but he fought through the feeling and stepped closer. He grabbed her arm, the one whose hand held that now deadly object.

"What are you doing?" Max asked, tears coming to his eyes. He watched Madison's face go red and she dropped the razor and began weeping into her hands. His heart cracked and he pulled her close.

"It—wouldn't—it wouldn't cut. I tried so hard—it cut everything but myself," she said between tears. 

Max closed his eyes shut, thanking God silently.

She clung to him tightly, her body shaking with her violent tears. The emotion coming from her overwhelmed him and he could feel it giving him a headache, his heart being squeezed inside him. He didn't dare let go though. He wouldn't ever let go of someone who was hurting. Not again.

After a long moment, he knew he couldn't take it anymore. Gently and slowly, he pushed her away, wiping the tears. She looked away from him, but he firmly gripped her chin, turning it back to him.

"Madison, God really stepped in for you a second ago. But you have free will so He won't always stop you. Please—" his voice broke, images flashing through his mind of his mom before she died. He closed his eyes, gritting his teeth, steeling himself against the flashbacks, the guilt.

"I'm so sorry, Max. Please don't hate me. Please don't leave me because of this. I--" Madison frantically said, gripping his shoulders. 

Max opened his eyes, shaking his head. "Stop, Maddie. Just don't do this again. Please. There are people who love you and need you. May, your parents... Me. I'm begging you." 

She bit her lip, not replying. Max's heart constricted at the silence. He clutched her face, reminding himself to not hurt her.

"Madison!" 

She closed her eyes, nodding, more tears slipping out. "Alright, alright!" she relented.

He paused and looked down at her clothes. He blushed at the realization that she was still in her pajamas, only wearing a spaghetti-strap tank for a top.

"Get changed. You're coming with me to church tonight," he said. 

She paled, moving away. "But it's only noon."

"I know. Youth service doesn't start until six. But I have a few things to do in town anyways. You'll just tag along." 

Madison frowned. "Max, that's sweet of you, but I don't really feel like going anywhere." 

Max gave her a stern glare, unmoving. "I'm not leaving you here alone. So, you're coming with me whether you want to or not," he paused, softening, forcing a smile onto his face, "you could use the fresh air." 

She stared back at him a moment but relented and went to her room to change.

He sighed in relief and went to go sit and wait in the living room, first picking up the razor she had dropped. After a moment, Madison came out dressed, with her hair let down and brushed. She went in the bathroom and washed off her face, before joining him in the living room. Max looked up at her.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked. 

She nodded in reply. He stood and grabbed his keys laying on the table, then lead Madison out the door, locking the door behind them. He put the key back under the rock in the front yard from where he had gotten it.