C h a p t e r 2

Nightmares woke Yumeko up that night. She looked over at Muichiro's sleeping figure to see a pair of tired blue eyes looking back.

"Nightmares?" He asked.

Yumeko nodded.

Muichiro glanced over at the door, his eyes widening.

Yumeko glanced over to where Muichiro was looking. Yumeko couldn't hold in the yelp of terror that lept out of her as she noticed the demon standing at the door they'd left open because of the humid summer heat. Yumeko slapped her hand to her mouth but it was too late.

"Just my luck. A few little undersized brats?" The demon said sarcastically as he licked his lips. "Delicious."

"Muichiro! Yumeko!" Yuichiro who had awakened from the sound of Yumeko's yelp shouted, charging up from his futon, rushing towards the two of them just in the nick of time as the demon swung his claws. He used his body as a shield for his younger sister taking the blow. 

A sharp scream pierced the quiet erie air as his left arm got cut off.

"Yui-nii!!" Yumeko yelled as Yuichiro staggered, falling down to the ground from pain. Muichiro, half-carrying, half-walking towards the safest place of the hut. Yuichiro, shaking from the pain of the bleeding flesh that used to be his arm as Yumeko rushed over desperately trying ways to help Yuichiro. She ripped off pieces of her dress, wrapping the fabric around Yuichiro's now half-arm.

"Oh! You, yes you, the girl. You're a marechi aren't you?" The demon laughed. "Jackpot!"

Something in the twins snapped.

They couldn't control anything that they were doing.

The rage that burned through them, like a flaming arrow that pierced their hearts, was more than any anger the two of them had ever felt before. Yumeko wanted to rip the demon to pieces. Bit by bit, giving him the most painful death he'd experienced in his life.

Who knew that Yumeko a tiny fragile little girl along with Muichiro a child boy was capable of killing a demon? That day...something in Yumeko had snapped like a rubberband that was played with too much and broke apart. 

"The hut," Yumeko muttered, pointing to their house. "We should go there. L-Light a fire so Yui-nii won't be cold."

As they went to their brother's side, Yumeko's eyes now empty without emotions looked down at her dying brother.

"...I think he's saying something."

"P...Please." Yuichiro's breath was ragged, "I'm begging...Gods...Buddha...Please...Please just save my brother and sister...They're kindhearted people. They wanted to help...other people, but I stopped them. So I am...the only one to blame...If anyone should die today, it should be me..."

"I beg of you, if you're going to...punish anyone...then...punish me." Yuichiro's voice was growing slowly softer and fainter, "The truth...I always knew it. The 'Yume' in the name Yumeko...is for dreams...and dreams always come back infinitely when you sleep, just like the 'Mu' in Muichiro... means infinity..." And with those final words the life in Tokito Yuichiro's eyes slowly drained away.

"Nii-san!! Please come back!! Please!!" Muichiro screamed in anguish.

"He's gone. Dead...Just like the others..."

AND IT'S ALL MY FAULT

Taishoera Secrets

Yumeko insisted the Tokito's mother a few years ago to dye her hair just like Muichiro and Yuichiro's so the three of them resembled each other.