C h a p t e r 3

A full week. Maybe even longer. That's how long it took to pull the now 2 remaining Tokitos away from the dead body.

If Amane Ubuyashiki hadn't visited in worry, they would've died along with Yuichiro. Maggots were crawling all over them, flies and who knows what other insects buzzed around Yuichiro's corpse.

Amane couldn't help but pity the 2 Tokitos. The girl who had first invited her to the house with polite manners. The boy who continuously offered tea to her whenever she came.

"Hinaki! Nichika!" Two heads shot up. "Boil some water, right away! Apply bandages and disinfectants to the wounds! We cannot have them dying! Now!" 

"Yes, Mother!"

"Right away, Mother!"

Hinaki and her mother had put the two on stretchers while Nichika quickly dug a hole to place Yuichiro's body in. Yumeko and Muichiro had likely passed out from exhaustion. 

"Hm? Where am I?" Yumeko tilted her head on the futon. 

"Death's door once again Yumeko..."

.

.

.

.

The girl, Tokito-chan, as you might've noticed, she is a marechi. I highly suggest that both Tokito-san and Tokito-chan train together now that they only have each other. Especially Yumeko's mental sanity...I am worried about her well-being. Something seems to be blocking her from being able to heal...

Was the report that Kanae gave to him.

"They will become slayers won't they. Instead of living a peaceful life..."

Amane knew the answer before her husband responded.

Everyone who became a Demon Slayer knew the fate that was soon gonna catch them all. Once they go down the path of vengeance, burning with anger, they can never go back. In a world filled with demons and the Slayers who seek to kill them, it was hunt or be hunted. Kill or be killed.

.

.

.

.

The weather had been dreadful as if to warn them something terrible was going to happen.

Thunder struck again as the twins sparred with each other, bokkens hitting and clashing until Yumeko slipped from the rain landing on her back, looking up to the dark gloomy sky.

"Yumeko!" Muichiro immediately dropped his bokken and ran to his sister's side as he helped her up Yumeko gritted her teeth.

"Again." She said.

"I-I think we should call it a day..." Muichiro said cautiously, trying not to brew his sister's anger.

"No. Again. Not until I master it."

"Fine."

The two had suffered a lot. Especially Yumeko. They were the only ones left so they cared for each other dearly.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Amane asked her husband.

"They said they were sure," Kagaya said to his wife.

"We're ready Oyakata-sama, we've trained to the best of our abilities," Yumeko coldly glared at him.

.

.

.

.

.

Final Selection...

"Hey! You're one of the two Tokitos aren't you?"

Yumeko turned around to be met by a dark-haired examinee who approached her. Analyzing her features, a girl a bit under average height, with dark purple eyes that made her face stand out. Her hair was held in a ponytail and decorated with one pink Butterfly Hairpin.

'I remember those butterfly pins...I think...' Yumeko thought.

Snapped back to the present, the girl huffed. "My name is Chino Yukari."

Yumeko blinked at her, startled by the girl's outgoing personality she backed up and walked away, trying to find her brother.

"H-Hey! How about your name!?" Yukari shouted after her.

Trying to lose her pursuer in the crowd she hid behind her brother, tugging at his sleeves.

Yukari felt all her confidence evaporate from her. She recalled Kanae telling her she would be at the same Final Selection as the Tokito Siblings. According to one of the butterfly sisters, Kocho Kanae to be specific, the two were here after three weeks of training after being rescued, so it was expected they would have talent. She had told Yukari that if she really felt like she couldn't do it, she could use the Tokitos to her advantage and pass the test.

Of course, Yukari had scoffed at the thought. 'Ha! Me? Be saved by them? Maybe I'll be the one saving their sorry butts.' But all that confidence had been thrown down the drain as she saw the 11-year-old's speed.

"Hey! Wait-" She was abruptly stopped by a boy, an exact replica of the girl she had just tried to befriend. The only difference was their eyes.

"Why were you chasing after my sister like a dog..." He asked, the girl looking at her uninterested behind her brother.

Before she could answer Yumeko interrupted her.

"We don't need friends." The girl answered. "This world is harsh. So stop dilly-dallying and wake up." 

The boy looked at her with an annoyed expression and the two got lost in the crowd leaving Yukari's confidence as empty as ever.

"My name...if you were wondering is Yumeko."

Yukari envied their confidence. How could she, a girl who trained for years be beaten by 2 kids, just around 11 years old who only trained for three weeks?

She stared longingly at the two admiring their bond as she saw them, side by side.

.

.

.

.

"PLEASE STOP!!" The girl with purple eyes exclaimed as the demon attacked her, claws raking her beautiful face. "HELP ME!! ONII-SAN!!" She cried shouting for her deceased brother.

"I-I'm sorry...to the people I bullied...for being so arrogant...I-I'm so..."

SORRY.

Taishoera Secrets

Yumeko's favorite flower is the Hydrangea