prologue: cross the line

2019
Sydney, Australia
27th of July

Jake is fidgeting in his seat while he's waiting for his name to be called. He's currently at Big Hit's global audition for a new k-pop trainee taking place in Sydney. He flew in from Brisbane last night, with his mother accompanying him. However, because he is already 16 years old, his mother has to wait for him outside until he's finished.

"Number 29?" a staff member calls and Jake takes a deep breath and stands up. 'It's now or never, Jake' he thinks and follows the man inside the room.

When Jake enteres the audition room, he notices a big table at the back, filled with eight people, talking with each other and barely acknowledging his presence, which only makes it more nerve wracking.

"Hello. Please introduce yourself and what you are going to show us today." a woman with long dark hair, seated in the middle says and everyone focuses on him.

"Hello. I'm Jake Shim. I'm 16 years old and I'm from Brisbane, Australia. I will be singing 'Photograph' by Ed Sheeran." Jake tries his best not to sound too nervous, but he's almost convinced he fails to do that.

"Okay, Jake. You can start whenever you're ready." the woman shows him a faint smile and Jake begins to sing.

After he is done, silence engulfs the room and the only other woman at the table speaks.

"Can you dance?"

"I can try." Jake replies with a nervous giggle that seems to go unnoticed by everyone else. The woman nods and presses a button on a remote, which plays an upbeat song on the speaker. Jake tries his best to showcase his dancing ability but by the end of it, he doesn't think he did a good job.

"Thank you, Jake. We will call you if you've been selected." the first woman assures him. Jake nods, says his thank yous and leaves the room in search for his mother.

Outside of the building, a lot of parents are waiting but he spots his mother rather quickly.

"How was it, honey?" his mother greets him with a big smile.

Jake lets out a sigh. "Not good, I think..." he raises an eyebrow, thinking about everyone's expressionless faces in the room.

"The most important part is that you did your best, Jake." his mother gives him a hug and pats his back. "And if you don't get selected, it's their loss." She shrugs her shoulders confidently.

Jake giggles. "You're just saying that because you're my mom and you want to make me feel better."

"Did I succeed though?" his mother slightly laughs, and Jake joins her.

"Unfortunately, no."

"Maybe somechocolate ice cream will do the trick then." she takes him by the arm anddrags him all the way to the best ice cream in the city (according to google).

2 months later
Brisbane, Australia

Jake is on his way home from school when his phone rings, an unknown caller ID showing up on his screen.

"Hello?" he answers, not knowing who to expect on the other line.

"Hello. Is this Shim Jake?" a male voice who doesn't sound English asks, which makes him even more curious.

"Yes, this is him."

"I'm calling to tell you that you have passed our global audition at Big Hit Entertainment to become a trainee -"