chapter 21: what if...

"I'm screwed," as soon as Sunoo opens the door, Jake walks right past him, covering his face in shame.

"What —"

"Ugh!" Jake groans. "I'm an idiot!" Potentially the biggest idiot on the planet, he thinks.

"What did you do?" Sunoo arches an eyebrow, curious to know what the older could have done that is seemingly so bad.

"I almost kissed him," it's already implied who Jake's referring to and Sunoo instantly understands.

"Wait —" Sunoo's eyes widen as he glances towards the bathroom door trying to warn him about something, but Jake's too absorbed on his own thoughts.

"And it gets worse. I accidentally confessed to him, too," Sunghoon had definitely caught onto Jake's feelings for him and the latter had blurted it out without thinking.

He could've lied, said anything else...but no. He just dropped the bomb on his best friend and ran out.

Coward...

"Finally!" a tall figure emerges out of the bathroom and Jake's eyes gape when he sees Ni-Ki.

Well, shit.

He had momentarily forgotten that Sunoo and Ni-Ki are sharing a room. Jake looks at Sunoo, as if asking why the boy didn't stop him.

"I tried to warn you," Sunoo gives him a memory refresher. Now, Jake wishes Sunoo had just clapped his mouth shut.

"I told you he'd be the first one to confess," Ni-Ki crosses his arms and smirks at Sunoo.

"Huh?!" Jake's taken aback by the maknae's statement. "What do you mean you knew I — did you tell him I like Sunghoon?" the question is directed to Sunoo and it comes out sort of accusatory, even though Jake knows that Sunoo never breaks his promises.

Sunoo shakes his head in a defensive manner, "I didn't say anything. He figured it out by himself, I swear."

"Duh, I'm not blind," Ni-Ki shots Jake an incredulous look.

Jake sighs. That's not what he wants to hear, but he should've seen it coming.

"But what are you doing here, hyung?" Sunoo asks, genuinely dumbfounded why Jake would come and tell all of this right now.

"Yeah, what did Sunghoon hyung say?" Ni-Ki grins, playfully raising his eyebrow, but Jake doesn't find the situation funny.

"I ran out of the room before he could say anything," Jake replies and it gets quiet for a bit.

"You're kidding..." Sunoo and Ni-Ki exchange glances and throw Jake a disbelieving look.

"If I had stayed, he would've said he doesn't feel the same way and that I ruined our friendship, which I know, already."

"Wow, and I thought only Heeseung hyung could read minds," Ni-Ki makes a sarcastic joke in reference to their characters' powers in their webtoon, Dark Moon.

Unfortunately, Jake isn't in the mood for jokes and Sunoo slightly elbows the younger to take it down a notch.

"I think you should've listened to what Sunghoon hyung had to say before jumping to conclusions so fast," Sunoo tells Jake, but he thinks it's useless.

"What else could he say?"

"Seriously?" Ni-Ki lets out a frustrated sigh, "Sunghoon hyung obviously likes you!" he exclaims, dropping his shoulders as he quickly glances at Sunoo, "Sorry, I had to say it."