chapter 6: an mc on music bank

As soon as Sunghoon opens his eyes in the morning, he feels a knot in his stomach. His first day as an MC on Music Bank has finally come, and the nerves cannot miss the occasion in any way. He received his script yesterday, but since he was busy with practice all day, he only managed to read and memorize it late at night. Jungwon, being the considerate leader he is, offers to go through it with him, hoping to make it easier. It surely is helpful, and Sunghoon is thankful, but he still feels like he should have prepared more. The fear that he will forget a line or mess up lingers in his head. He can't even eat breakfast due to the nervousness, but also, it is the crack of dawn when he has to leave, so he is not that hungry either.

Sunghoon notices the painted sky with warm hues of orange and gold. A mix of red, yellow, and brown fallen leaves cover the ground like blankets. There are few people walking on the streets, as most of them are driving now or using the subway, due to the chilly weather. He has waited for fall to set in because it is the ideal season: not too hot but not too cold, just perfect. Sunghoon slightly rolls down the car's window, breathing in the crisp and invigorating air, to help him calm down. The brisk breeze blended with the tranquility of the sunrise is eagerly embraced by him.

Once he arrives at Music Bank, Sunghoon is sent straight to hair and makeup. Before starting the live broadcasting as an MC, he has to pre-record a special performance with his co-host, former Izone member, Jang Wonyoung. The only problem is, Sunghoon has been given less than three days to record his parts and rehearse for it. On top of that, he has not even met Wonyoung, let alone practiced with her once. Sunghoon's only luck is that the song chosen is BTS's 'Butter', which has been stuck in his head all summer, and he mostly knows the steps. Now, he can only hope that the performance will turn out well.

"What do you think?" the stylist interrupts Sunghoon's thoughts, wanting to check if he likes how his hair is done.

"It looks good." he gives her a small but reassuring smile, and the woman smiles behind the mask, content with her work.

"We should go to the stage if you're ready, Sunghoon. Please follow me." a staff member speaks, and Sunghoon nods his head, getting up from the chair.

"Fighting, Sunghoon!" Do-Il, who is accompanying him today, cheers as a sign of encouragement.

"Fighting!" Sunghoon replies, trying to sound equally as enthusiastic.

He follows the staff through the hallway, passing by all the fitting rooms, which have the names of the performing idols and groups of the day written on the doors. There is still an hour or so left until they will begin arriving for the recordings, though.

Sunghoon is the first one to reach the stage, so he takes advantage of it and starts practicing the intro ment and the choreography while he waits for Wonyoung. It does not take her much longer to arrive.

"Hello, I'm Jang Wonyoung." the girl greets him with a bow, and Sunghoon's first impression of her is that she is really tall.

"Hello, I'm Enhypen's Park Sunghoon." he also introduces himself with a bow.

"Nice to meet you, Sunghoon. I'm looking forward to hosting with you." she smiles, extending her hand, and he shakes it.

"Nice to meet you too. I hope we get along well."

"Oh, we will." Wonyoung winks, which visibly takes Sunghoon aback, as he just smiles awkwardly.

Wonyoung has been in the industry longer than him, and it shows. She displays a confident aura that Sunghoon wishes he would have too, someday.

"We've made some minor changes to the choreography to make it more fun." a staff member suddenly says exactly what Sunghoon does not want to hear. He is anxious enough about what he has already learned.