chapter 10: home is a feeling

"Does anyone know how to make coffee?" the staff asks the six members lined up in front of them and the camera crew.

"The only one who knows is Sunghoon hyung, right?" Jungwon looks at the older for confirmation.

"Jake knows too," Sunghoon glances at him.

"I worked part time at a café, in Australia," Jake lets the staff know and even the members, except for Sunghoon, are surprised.

"I recently learned how to make coffee with this machine," Sunghoon points at the counter behind him, where a big coffee machine is set in place.

Jake recalls when they filmed for EN-loG three weeks ago and Sunghoon went to a coffee shop and received lessons on how to be a barista. That day, he came home all excited and insisted on perfecting his latte art skills, which only ended up in him making four cups of coffee with failed milk hearts in them. The hilarious part was seeing him lose his mind every time he poured the steamed milk and the shape forming was anything, but a heart. The bad part was when nobody else wanted to drink the said coffees, because it was past 10 p.m. and so, not wanting to let them go to waste, Jake and Sunghoon were forced to drink them all. It's safe to say they didn't get an ounce of sleep that night. They stayed up playing games and talking until the early morning and thoroughly regretted their choices later, during practice.

Today, they're filming for their variety show, EN O'Clock. The theme of the episode is EN-Café, hence why they're currently at a café, trying to assign each member a role. Unfortunately, Ni-Ki couldn't join them due to a bad stomachache, so he stayed back at the dorm to recover. It's a pity he's not feeling well because Jake knows the shooting won't be as fun without him, but they'll make sure to bring him a yummy dessert when they return home.

"Do you want to make the lattes?" Jake asks Sunghoon, who's already checking the coffee machine and he nods. "I'll practice making Iced Americano then."

"I don't know how to do it," Heeseung carefully watches the two manoeuvring the machine while Jungwon agrees with him.

"You better not break anything," Sunoo warns.

"Isn't it automatic?" Sunghoon is still looking, trying to work out the mechanisms when coffee begins to pour from it in Jake's cup.

"I'm doing it," he says, not exactly sure how he managed to. When the Americano's done, he adds ice and hands it to the producer for a taste.

"Hurry up and try it," Jake beams and Jungwon laughs and tells him he looks like a puppy. The producer gives him a thumbs up and the blonde boy smiles triumphantly.

The members wait patiently for Sunghoon to make the latte, but the finishing touch of the art doesn't go as planned, and he groans.

"It's not bad," Jake assures him and Sunghoon gives Sunoo the drink to see how it turned out.

Once Sunoo approves, the members divide the roles accordingly. Jake, Sunghoon and Heeseung will take care of the beverages, since there are a lot on the menu while Jay and Jungwon will prepare the pastries and Sunoo will ring up the costumers and serve the food.

It's currently lunchtime and they have around two hours to practice and see how everything works, until the café opens in the evening. Jay and Jungwon go to the back kitchen where the chef teaches them to make the croffles. Sunoo accommodates with the POS system in order to take orders quickly.
Meanwhile, the management team comes and orders different beverages, so the three baristas can test out their skills.

When the café finally opens, it takes a while for customers to come. The boys even joke around at one point, saying they won't make enough money to cover the costs of keeping the place open at this rate. People start coming in eventually, and they're put on duty. Jake and Sunghoon encounter some difficulties when the drink orders they receive aren't either Iced Americano, Latte or Espresso (their specialties), but they make it work somehow.