chapter 20: it's so romantic in paris

2023
Paris, France
7th of April

"Rock, paper, scissors," Heeseung says and the seven members play.

They're in the hotel reception, determining who will get the single room. Some guests and hotel staff throw confused glances at the group and Sunghoon figures they're probably wondering what's with all the commotion.
Sunoo loses in the first round, followed by Sunghoon and Jake in the second. Jay and Ni-Ki are eliminated next and it's between Jungwon and Heeseung.

"Nice!" Jungwon jumps in joy after beating Heeseung and securing his own room.

"I have the keycards. Have you decided?" Do-Il returns after he's done with the check in.

"I'm going solo this time, hyung," Jungwon smiles proudly and Do-Il hands him the single room key.

"I'll go with Sunoo hyung," Ni-Ki says.

"Heeseung—" Jake's quick to speak, but he's cut off unintentionally. Sunghoon's the only one who catches it.

"What do you say, Heeseung hyung?" Jay hangs an arm around Heeseung's shoulders, who agrees without much thought.

Sunghoon also wanted to propose that he and Jay should be roommates, but that's not happening, apparently, which leaves him with...Jake. They avoided rooming together in Poland because Jake was fast enough to pair up with Ni-Ki, and Sunghoon stayed with Heeseung. They could ask to switch rooms, but the others might assume something's up, when it isn't.
Well...

A week ago, the two were baking cupcakes in the dorm's kitchen when Jake started a flour fight. A flour fight that somehow led Sunghoon to believe they were about to...kiss. Right there and then, it looked as if Jake was leaning towards him, before they were interrupted. After that, Sunghoon's mind became a jumbled mess and thoughts of uncertainty took over.

It seemed too good to be true.
Maybe Sunghoon had imagined it. Maybe he was the one who leaned in...although he doesn't remember moving an inch.
Whatever that was, it left him in a rather embarrassing clean up scenario with Jake after, which Sunghoon fears he's not really recovered from yet.

"What time do you want to go out?" Do-Il asks as they walk towards the elevator.

"In two, three hours? We need to rest," Jungwon replies and the members concur. They went straight to the venue from the airport in the morning, to rehearse for tomorrow's Music Bank festival, and they're tired.

"Ok, text me when you're all ready, Jungwon."

The members split into the two available elevators, since one isn't enough to carry all and they go up to the 7th floor, where their rooms are.

Sunghoon chooses the window bed and places his suitcase beside it, picking up a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt, to change into. Jake quietly mirrors his actions, and minutes later, they're tucked up in their beds, scrolling on their phones.

Sunghoon wants to think that it's that familiar and comfortable silence they've always shared, but somehow, it feels different now...

A notification pops up on his phone and he opens the group chat.

jay 🦅:
'Top 20 things to see in Paris"
www.traveltheworld.com

jungwon 🐈:
that's a bit much hyung 😆

sunoo 🦊:
😂😂

sunghoon 🐧:
that won't do