chapter 2: debut on edge

2020
30th of November

"Are you ready?" a staff member glances at the seven boys, who are patiently waiting at the table and staring at the clock on the wall.

"Yes." they all reply when the clock strikes exactly 6 p.m.

The video begins uploading and in less than 30 seconds, it's done.

The staff presses the 'enter' key on the laptop. "It's up!" she announces to everyone else present in the room and they all start clapping.

It's official. Enhypen has debuted with their first mini album, Border: Day One with the title track: Given - Taken.
It's been a busy two months and a half for the boys with all the necessary debut preparations, but the day is finally here.

"Thank you." Sunghoon and the rest of the boys bow to the staff in gratitude.

"You worked difficult!" Jake confidently smiles at the staff, earning giggles from everyone, including the members. Not realizing his mistake, he glances at Sunghoon, confused.

"It's hard not difficult." Sunghoon explaines the difference, slightly amused at the little error Jake made.

Everyone knows though, that the Australian boy still hasn't mastered the Korean language perfectly and has slip ups from time to time.

"Oh! You worked hard!" Jakes corrects himself.

"Everybody did a great job!" the staff congratulates the boys and each other.

While everyone's chatting, Sunghoon notices Sunoo glancing around, as if he's searching for someone. He approaches the younger and taps his shoulder, gaining his attention.

"Who are you looking for?" Sunghoon raises his eyebrows curiously.

"Our manager." Sunoo replies. "I swear he was here five minutes ago." he furrows his eyebrows, confused as to where the man could've disappeared so fast.

Sunghoon actually saw him leaving the room earlier, but he has no idea where he could've gone.
Just then, the door opens and their manager shows up, holding a cake in his hands.

"Mr. Choi, you've brought cake!" Sumin, one of their former dance teachers, exclaims cheerfully.

Her visibly excited reaction is met with chuckles, especially from Sunghoon, Jay Jungwon and Heeseung , who are aware of her love for desserts. Every year since they joined the company, Sumin would bring chocolates for all the trainees on their last day of dance practice before winter break. It was unusual for teachers to do that, as the trainees were always encouraged to eat healthy, not to snack on sweets and even diet, if necessary. Sumin, however, believed that everything could be eaten in moderation, even chocolate.

"Yes, please help yourselves." Choi Do-Il, their manager, smiles, gesturing towards the cake.

"The boys should get the first bite." Sumin cuts the cake while another staff member hands around plates.

"No, no. You go first, please." Jungwon politely denies.

"I insist." Sumin just grins, shoving the full plate in Jungown's hands.

"Don't insist too much, Sumin-ssi." Hana, the boys' current dance teacher, speaks in a warning tone.

Sumin rolls her eyes subtly. "It's just a slice of cake, Hana-ssi. Let the kids enjoy it today." she continues giving each of them a slice with a smile on her face.

Hana doesn't say anything back, but the atmosphere becomes a little tense after their short exchange. Nobody says anything for a few moments, except for the members and staff's 'thank you's' upon receiving the dessert.