chapter 22: the "right" thing

Sunghoon is in the music studio, recording his lines for a Japanese song, Blossom, they're set to release in the summer. With their upcoming album, Dark Blood, coming out in less than a month and tour preparations beginning immediately after promotions, they're taking advantage of the time they have now.

"Let's go again from your first line," the producer instructs and Sunghoon sings.

I make you, you make me

Blossom is a beautiful song, in Sunghoon's opinion. From the first time he heard the demo and understood the lyrics, its meaning was clear: love and longing. A song about falling in love with someone, yet having the inability to meet. But, despite the physical distance, the emotional connection between the two individuals is still strong.

In a way, Sunghoon can relate to it.

"The second line now."

Even tears become beautiful and turn into memories

The song requires a lot of emotion, so he's trying to project it into his voice.

"Ok, Heeseung you can go in now," the producer says and Heeseung joins Sunghoon in the booth.

Heeseung had come here a few minutes ago since there's a short part they're supposed to sing together. He puts on the headset and the producer signals when to start.

No matter how far apart we are
This voice will never falter

"Sunghoon, the register should be a little higher."

He tries again, hoping not to sound as if he's straining his voice, but Heeseung guides him as well.
When it comes to recording songs, Heeseung always gives Sunghoon and the members helpful advice on how to make it sound better and the producers are delighted to work with him.

It takes Sunghoon a couple of attempts to get it the intended way, but ultimately it's a success.

Heeseung and the producer start talking about technicalities when there's a knock on the door, followed by someone entering the studio.

Jake.

"Hello," Jake bows to the producer before he glances right in Sunghoon's direction. "Did I get the time wrong?" he looks at his phone. He's probably scheduled to record after and from what Sunghoon remembers, he also has a part with Heeseung.

"No, we're almost done," the producer gestures Jake to take a seat. "Heeseung, Sunghoon, let's listen to the recording."

Their headsets are back on and the music starts playing.

No matter how far apart we are
This voice will never falter

Sunghoon is listening intently, but his eyes dart towards Jake, even though he wishes they didn't.

I make you, you make me

As much as he doesn't like to admit it, Sunghoon feels like the lyrics express his feelings quite well.

Even tears become beautiful and turn into memories

"All right, good job!" Sunghoon hears the producer's faint voice, but his eyes are still locked with Jake's.

"Sunghoon," it's Heeseung's nudging his shoulder which makes him blink in realization.

They're done and his eyes are glistening, with unshed tears. He blinks rapidly a few times until they disappear.
The last thing he wants is to cry here, in front of people.

"Thank you," Sunghoon tells the producer as he exits the booth while Heeseung remains for his session with Jake.

"Wait," Jake grabs Sunghoon's wrist, stopping him on his way out. He's not holding tight, but it's more of a gentle squeeze, enough to for Sunghoon to spare him a glance.