chapter 3: a less lonely new year's eve

Sunghoon is busy helping the manager set up the camera while the rest of the boys are bringing drinks and all kinds of desserts to the table. It's the last day of 2020 and since they have a schedule on the second day of the new year, they haven't been able to go home to their families. On top of that, covid has made it even harder to leave their dorm, so they are stuck together on New Year's Eve.

Left without too many options, they decided to do v-live for the fans, hence why they are currently preparing the setting.

"It should be alright now." Do-Il checks the camera's final position.

Sunghoon sits down on the couch next to Heeseung and Jay while the others settle on the floor, in order to appear in the frame. Ni-Ki grabs the tablet so he can read the comments.
The manager signals that they are live.

"A happy new year has begun." Jungwon is the first one to speak.

Jake, who is sitting next to him, glances at him. "There's four hours left."

"It's not on yet." Ni-Ki draws their attention and Do-Il checks on his phone as well.

"The Wi-Fi connection is lagging a bit." Jay comments but a few seconds later, Do-Il gives them a thumbs up that everything's alright.

"Ok everyone, shall we do our greeting together?" Jungwon asks and the boys agree.

"1, 2, Connect! Hello, we're Enhypen!"

"It'll be the new year soon, so we wanted to celebrate by eating and talking with engenes." Jungwon states with a smile.

"This year passed by very quickly." Sunghoon mentions during their conversation.

"It flew fast thanks to I-LAND." Sunoo carries on.

"It seemed so long when we were on the show, though." Jake says in contradiction. "At least for me."

"There's the theory of relativity. The time we feel doesn't move in the speed we feel." Heeseung speaks while taking a sip of his drink.

"People feel the speed of time differently. It can vary per person." Jake explains.

"Let's leave that for scientists to discuss." Jay prompts them to change the subject.

The members keep on talking about different, random topics like their school years, the Chinese zodiac signs and song recommendations for fans.

About forty minutes later, it's time to wrap it up since their manager also has to go home.

"Ah, it's almost time to say goodbye. Any messages you have for engenes?" Jungwon raises his eyebrows, looking at the other members.

"I think this year has been difficult and burdensome for you, engenes, and for many people around the world. You had to stay inside and couldn't meet family or friends. You had to be very cautious of your health and of other's. You did your best! I hope next year brings you more peace and joy. Stay healthy and safe!" Sunoo smiles optimistically and it's quiet for a few moments.

The other members nod their heads in agreement with him.

Heeseung taps Sunoo's shoulder. "Well said, Sunoo."

"I hope we can meet engenes face to face in 2021!" Ni-Ki adds with a hopeful smile.

"See you next year!" the members say in chorus. "Bye!"

Do-Il stops the recording and compliments them. "That went well!"

"Thank you." Jungwon replies for everyone.

"Since we're done, I'll leave now." Do-Il grabs his backpack from the kitchen. "Happy new year and I'll see you the day after tomorrow."

"Happy new year!" the boys reply in return, while he's heading for the door.