3.

04:24 AM

My body ached in so many places that I couldn't count, the sparing session with Ghost left me bruised in ways I didn't even expect. I shuddered at the thought that I would have to fight him again today, I changed into my training clothes and I was ready to leave and get some breakfast from the cafeteria.

It was still early so I knew I would be one of the only people there, or so I thought as I kept my eyes on the giant figure sitting further away from the entrance, I thought of all the squads he could belong to but my mind was sure that I had never seen him before.

The kitchen lady whispered to me with a smile as she passed my food.

"It's KorTac, Darling. Remember the announcement from last week?"

My eyes went wide as I remembered, KorTac's unit was staying on our grounds for a while, most likely on some mission but we weren't allowed to know, nodding fast I smiled at the lady.

"Oh right, how could I have forgotten. Thank you for the meal."

I quickly took a seat further away from the man and began eating, I could feel someone watching me, a chill running down my spine. A few other people entered the cafeteria but I had already finished eating.

I went over to put down my tray, before I could put it down someone was already placing another one on top of mine, I felt as their gloved hand brushed against mine.

I looked behind me but was met with a sturdy chest, my eyes then moved up as the KorTac soldier towered over me, I must have looked comical as I stood next to him, not even reaching his shoulders in height.

His eyes looked dark and cold, as if any wrong move would have me dead on the spot, the sniper hood making him look even scarier, it reminded me of Ghost in a sense. A shiver went through me as I thought how bruised up I would be if I had to fight him instead of Ghost, I was quickly ripped out of my thoughts by his voice.

"Umm... Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

I blinked a couple of times, his thick accent sounded so sweetly, his eyes suddenly looked like ones of a puppy, much different to his first impression.

"Ah! No, sorry, I just got lost in thoughts. I didn't know there was someone behind me."

I tried to laugh it off to not make it awkward, I said my Goodbye walking out and towards the gym sector to get a light work out in hope of easing some of my strains from yesterday.

We both continued to walk in the same direction, that was it for trying not to make it awkward, the giant man walked behind me, people looking our way as we passed through corridors. I realized I don't even know what to call him, I glanced behind me to see his eyes wandering everywhere except at me. It made me think whether I really want to bother him but fuck it.

"I don't think I caught your name before, I'm Shade by the way."

"König. You can call me König."

"Kónig, huh? Sounds nice."

Thanks to my accent I was able to get the name right the first time. He didn't say anything else so we walked in silence the rest of the way, I could feel his gaze on my back.

The gym was empty as I had thought it would be, so it was just the two of us, we both went our separate ways from there. I could feel his eyes on me as I stretched my sore limbs, I only hoped I didn't get under his skin, I wouldn't want to have problems with KorTac as well, Ghost was already enough.

But I had to admit. The way his muscles flexed was worth stealing a glance.

-------

Sarah walked over to me as we got in a line, her smile not wavering instead becoming even brighter then before.