Chapter Ten

"Is she hurt?" The voice was female and familiar. Hope tried to open her eyes but it was as if they were glued shut. A gentle hand came to the bruising on her cheek.

"Physically just her face, my lady," replied another female voice, close enough that she knew she was the one touching her and that voice was also familiar.

"I can feel her agony."

"My lady?"

"He left her here alone, left her to face Reaper alone without being there. If we had not intercepted the message..."

"But we did, my lady. And now we can take her to safety, away from Reaper and from Hitman. We can keep her safe."

"She will hate me though, Juniper. She will despise me for what I have done. And when Reaper finds me... he will know I have taken her from him again. His vengeance will be... brutal."

"Of all beings in this world you have the greatest claim on this girl." Their voices faded and she felt someone lift her as she lost consciousness again.

Hope fought again to open her eyes as a gentle hand touched her cheek, a touch she thought she recognised. The scent of spring flowers was strong as that hand caressed her softly, a scent she had known all her life.

"Mom?" she whispered and now her eyes did open and she looked into the sea green gaze of her mother. The lady smiled down at her, taking her hands in her own.

"Hush my darling girl, don't try to sit up. You are safe now, you are safe."

Hope registered that she was in a bed with soft white covers and more comfortable than she thought she had ever been in her life. Looking around she saw that everything in the room was white and gold. An enormous window was at the side of her, crystal clear glass which showed a view of open fields filled with wild flowers.

"Am I in Heaven?" she asked and the woman laughed, her musical voice filled with amusement as she replied.

"No child. There is no Heaven for us I am afraid, only Limbo. But we are here and we are together again."

"Did you die?" Her mother glanced away from her and shook her head. "Am I dreaming?"

"No, child, you do not dream. I am here and would have been sooner if I could have crossed the barriers between the world of the living and this place. But I needed help. Thankfully Juniper came to my aid."

Hope turned her head and saw the beautiful Fae she had encountered in the Fire Pit. A smile came automatically to her lips as she remembered the kindness this Elf had shown her. Juniper was standing by the door, her muscular arms folded across her chest, but her blue eyes danced with merriment.

"I knew when I saw her that she was yours, my lady," she said. "I just wasn't sure how I could remove her from the Fire Pit without Kane blasting us both into ash. But then Hitman saved me the trouble. I would have taken her back sooner but those Hunters were there and you know how I feel about them." A flash of pain came to Juniper's eyes and the woman nodded grimly.

"They betrayed you, caused you hurt. You loved them both and they used you ill Juniper."

Juniper nodded bleakly but then her gaze softened as she looked at the girl in the bed.

"What happened to your face?" she asked, gently. Hope sat up slowly, bringing her hand to her cheek.

"He was so angry. He thought that I was in league with Reaper, trying to hurt him... I wasn't though. I couldn't be. But he wouldn't believe me. I don't even know who Reaper is."

Juniper and her mother exchanged glances.

"You don't remember Reaper?" asked her mother, carefully. Hope shook her head and tears trickled down her cheek.