Chapter Twenty Six

Persephone sat up suddenly, her hand at her chest and a cry of fear escaping her lips. Reaper opened his eyes and sat up beside her.

"What?" he asked, alarmed. She got up from the bed, scrambling to find her clothes and he watched as she pulled them on. "Persephone? What is going on?"

"No! Don't dare to ask me! Don't you dare pretend you did not know! I must stay here and watch? You fucking bastard!"

"Watch your mouth, woman," he said, standing up himself and pulling on a pair of loose black trousers. "What is wrong with you?"

She crossed the room and slapped him across the face so hard his head rocked back. Glaring at her furiously, he went to grab her but she avoided his hand.

"Why are they heading for the Sea of Oblivion? Why is my daughter heading towards the Crone? What the hell is going on? Was this your idea? Did you suggest it to her? I know your fucked up mind games, Reaper. I know how you get inside people's thoughts and their dreams. I will not allow this. Do you hear me? I will not allow it!" Her voice was tight with fury and her eyes blazed with it, flickers of violet light sparking with the green of her eyes. "Save her from my mother only to send her there? Your own daughter, your own flesh and blood! And I let a few fucking tattoos and a night of amazing sex stop me from protecting my girl. I'm as bad as you!"

Finally Reaper managed to catch hold of her arm, pulling her up close to him.

"Stop, Persephone. Stop!" He gave her a small shake and she glared up at him,  but fell silent. "I have no idea what you are talking about. Start at the beginning and maybe keep your damn hands to yourself!"

"I saw her. I saw her with Hitman walking towards the cave by the Sea and I saw the Crone waiting for them. The Crone is dangerous, more dangerous than you, my mother or anyone I know. Why is she going there?"

"You dreamed it?" he said and she nodded. "Then it might not even have happened. I have had nothing to do with it."

"I don't believe you," she said, softly. He leaned down so that his eyes met hers forcefully.

"I have not had a thing to do with it, woman. You think I would send my daughter to the Crone?"

"You said that she had to fix this without us..."

"I didn't mean the Crone. I meant her and Hitman!"

Persephone deflated a little, knowing he was telling the truth. He felt her sag a little and released her. She crossed the room, wrapping her arms around herself and looking away from him.

"You didn't know?" she asked, her voice a little shaky.

"No I did not," he replied, coldly. She glanced across at him , seeing how red the side of his face was where she had hit him and sighed, crossing the room to place a gentle hand on the bruised flesh. Beneath her touch it healed quickly and he watched her, his expression unreadable.

"I'm sorry," she offered and he nodded curtly. "I am worried though. What is she thinking heading there?"

"I do not know," he replied. "But I still do not feel we can interfere. Our interference with her lives and her deaths has cost her dearly already. We have to trust her this time."

Persephone sighed and looked at him.

"You know about her death then?"

"Of course. I know about all deaths."

"You never said," she said, softly and he sighed.

"I saw what that prick did to her," he finally said. "When his time comes I will tear him limb from limb. I do not blame you for ending it for her. She was suffering too much. Watching her so terrified, so hurt... I understand that you could not let it go on."