Chapter Eleven

Hope woke to find Juniper curled up on the bed beside her, fast asleep. She looked peaceful and Hope did not want to disturb her as she sat up carefully and then swung her legs over the side of the bed. Juniper's hand crept out and seized her wrist though.

"Where are you going darling girl?" she asked, sitting up and giving Hope a dazzling smile.

"Bathroom," Hope replied. Juniper sat up and stretched, still holding Hope's wrist.

"I will take you. Come." She led Hope to a door the other side of the room and opened it to reveal an enormous bathroom. Like the bedroom it was decorated in shades of gold and white, with an enormous flower shaped tub and matching sink, a separate rain shower and a toilet, much to Hope's relief. Juniper followed her inside and she flushed pink.

"I just... just need to use the toilet," she stammered and Juniper nodded.

"Your mother left strict instructions that I am not to leave you alone at any time. Don't worry, I won't watch."

Hope was crimson as she used the facilities and then washed her hands.

"Do you want to shower or bath?" Juniper asked, not in the slightest embarrassed. Hope bit her lip and nodded. Juniper crossed to the bath and pulled the lever for the tap, smiling as a torrent of glittering silver water poured out. Hope recognised it as being the same liquid Hitman carried in his vial and Juniper noticed the recognition on her face. "Silver will take away any aches and pains darling girl. From your face and from your feet which are both terribly damaged."

"Thank you," she said, softly. When the bath was filled she stripped off, with Juniper watching her closely and gratefully sank into the water which covered her body completely, hiding her from the Elf's gaze. It was just the right side of hot and soothed her aching body. "Where did Mom go?"

"She will be back, don't worry. I am to keep an eye on you in case either Reaper or Hitman try anything."

"Hitman won't try anything. He doesn't want anything to do with me," she replied, a little sadly. Juniper laughed at that.

"I shouldn't be so sure. You have cast a spell on him and when he has calmed he will want you back."

She glanced up at the Elf, a little hopefully.

"Do you think so?"

"Don't let your mother see you look as if you wish to see him again. She will likely have you whipped," Juniper warned.

"Mom would never hit me," she replied, smiling. "She's always been real gentle, never even raised her voice to me."

"She won't do it herself, she'll have me do it and I wouldn't mark you for the world, sweet child." Juniper gave her a sad smile and Hope stiffened a little.

"Why does Mom hate Hitman so much?"

"He hurt you," she replied simply, shrugging. Hope sighed.

"I'd imagine if she told you to whip me that that would hurt too," she said and Juniper laughed.

"I'd not do it too hard, just enough to warm your skin," she said and Hope blushed, sensing the Elf might enjoy that however much she protested that she wouldn't wish to hurt her. She drew her knees to her chest.

"Maybe I can explain to Mom..."

"You must wash your hair and then I will help you dry and dress," Juniper said, a little sternly and Hope knew she needed to drop the subject of Hitman. She lay back in the water and closed her eyes, picturing his face. Pain ripped through her as she thought of him and she blinked hard, sitting up again. Juniper was watching her, a scowl on her face, but she grabbed a huge fluffy towel and wrapped it around Hope without a word as she led her through to the bedroom. The Elf handed her a cream ankle length robe which fasted with a gold belt. Putting it on, Hope followed her out of the bedroom and into a garden were Juniper instructed her to sit at a table. The garden was filled with wild flowers and their fragrance was in the air. Hope sat and closed her eyes feeling a sense of peace wash over her. Juniper stood behind her chair like a soldier but Hope managed to ignore her presence for now. She focussed instead on seeing Hitman in her mind, keeping her face still as she pictured him and hoping Elves couldn't read minds.