Chapter 1: New school, new you

Y/N pov

Silence fills the small dorm room after you click the door shut for the first time. The chatter that was your family moving you in to your room is totally gone.

You sigh and turn around to face your home for the next 9 months. It's small, but you've made it cozy. There's a small buzzing of a fan in the corner but besides that it's quiet. You haven't heard this much silence all summer.

As a junior in college, transferring had proven difficult. Especially since you had to move right after thanksgiving break: the short but homework packed time college students had before Christmas. But packing up and moving was something that you were used to. You had lived everywhere, cities, small towns, even Europe, but now you were in the Big Apple. The city that never sleeps.

Moving from Florida to New York was a big adjustment. You had friends at your old college, and you were thriving those first two years. Head copy editor of the campus newspaper, Greek life officer, a campus life director, to name a few. But because your family had to move, you were no longer considered "in state" and the tuition was just too much. For the first two years your family tried to make it work but you just simply couldn't afford it anymore. Not to mention the drive/flight to see your family was horrible. There's nothing anyone could do.

You didn't know anyone at this new campus. There was hardly any dorm life even because most people who went here just stayed with their families, but it worked out best for you to have a dorm. Luckily, because hardly anyone lives here, you had no roommate or suitemates. Part of you would miss that.

You kicked off your slides and hopped onto your double mattress padded bed. Next to it was a collage of pictures. Friends from all over the world. You feel nostalgia roll over you in waves.

After staring at it for a minute you snap out and are reminded of the loud silence in the room. You rubbed your eyes. Knowing that you had to start completely over again making friends made you want to scream. All too often you were the new kid in school, new kid who didn't know anyone. Your parents had no idea how had this was. You never mentioned it. You always found your people eventually, only to move again.

You make yourself presentable and walk out of the room. You were an experienced social introvert; you knew you needed a head start.

The cold New York air hit you as you left the dorm building and walked towards the student center. Surely there were lots of potential friends in there. You felt you looked quite inviting, with your Gators sweatshirt and butterfly hair clip holding your hair up. Although all you wore in colder months were leggings, sweatshirts and your iconic Doc Martins you would consider yourself stylish.

The inside of the student center was 10x crazier than the dorms. Everywhere you looked there were students playing games, doing homework, laughing, eating, and having fun.

This actually makes you nervous.

A wave of anxiety hits you. Odd, because this is your 10000x making new friends. Something was different this time.

Everyone knew each other. You felt like a new freshman all over again.

The loudness of your peers compared to the loudness of the silence earlier piles up on you. You feel like the world is shrinking and you feel yourself break out in a sweat even though it's cold. Your breathing hiccups and you turn around fast to bolt out the door and go back and hide in your room until classes.

"OH GOD!"

You slam right into another student, who was carrying her dinner- well not anymore.

The force knocks you off your feet and onto the ground. The students around you two snicker and point. Your face heats up in a blush while you hurriedly stand back up to apologize.