Chapter 12: Christmas Conclusion

Donnie D's pov

My breath fogged in front of me as I landed in an alley.

Swallowing my feelings the entire way from the hotel to the lair entrance was easy while blasting music through my headphones.

The weight of Big Mama's crimes were gone. She couldn't hurt anyone anymore... at least for now. The crime boss was slippery and always finding ways to wreck havoc. But she was subdued.

The Christmas lights, good spirits and all those.. feelings were also swirling around in my brain.

It was Christmas Eve. And New York knows how to do Christmas.

I couldn't help but feel the Christmas buzz in my chest. Or maybe that was my feelings bubbling to the surface as I removed my headphones and leaned against the brick wall.

Y/N should be here soon.

I shiver. Maybe from the cold. Maybe because I'm about to ruin my friendship with this human woman.

I want to be lovers instead.

I felt the warmth of my cheeks. She drove me crazy.

Her smell, her eyes, her smile, her lips, her body, her laugh, her intelligence, her wit, her passion, her affection... her touch...

My body was flushed now.

I wanted to protect her from everything. I wanted her to need me.

For weeks I had refused to lean into these emotions and rather tried to examine them and try to find another solution. Another reason.

But she was irresistible.

I didn't really know exactly what I was going to say tonight. I was banking on the fact that if I leaned into my emotions they would do the talking for me.

What did I want from Y/N? I wanted her to be mine. I loved her in a romantic way, not the way I love my family.

Love was always so confusing and messy to me. At least when it came to my brothers love was straightforward. The more Y/N I was around Y/N, the more romantic love showed itself to me.

Love wasn't something I needed to diagnose. It wasn't something I could pin to reasoning and logic. Love was reckless and defied all reason. It didn't matter that she was human and I am a mutant.

I love her.

And I have a hypothesis she feels the same way. If she doesn't, then I would risk it all just to call her mine.

I saw Y/N approach me. The buzz in my chest swelled to my head and I had hoped I would know what to say but seeing her took away what scraps of confidence I had believed I had.

Maybe Leo is right I-I she's too much-

"Here's your scarf science man!"

Y/N tosses the piece of cloth gently and I let it hit my face to get a laugh out of her.

Obviously I could have caught it in my sleep but I am the funny one and I must keep up my reputation.