Chapter 4

The Next Day

The sound of "Fireflies" by Owl City rang through Maxis' room, as that was the sound of her alarm. She opened an eye and looked at her clock before silencing the alarm.

Once the song was stopped, Maxis laid in her bed for a few moments, taking the time to wake up a bit more. After that, she got out of bed and immediately went to the kitchen, as she was going to eat breakfast before she got ready for work.

When she got to the kitchen, Maxis went to the refrigerator and pulled out some apple juice. She poured herself a cup and sat it on the table before heading to the freezer and grabbing some frozen waffles and putting them in the toaster.

As Maxis waited for her waffles to toast, she heard the sound of footsteps approaching the kitchen. She turned around and saw Kyle entering the kitchen, he was already dressed for work.

"Good morning." He groggily said.

Maxis nodded and smiled lightly, "Do you want me to make you any?" She asked while pointing to the box of frozen waffles.

Kyle shook his head, "No, I'll just have some cereal." He said while grabbing all the necessary things for his breakfast.

Both Maxis and Kyle would then sit at the table with their breakfasts since they both finished preparing them at the same time.

As they both began to eat, they heard the sound of more footsteps approaching the kitchen. They soon saw their oldest brother, Tyler, entering the kitchen.

"Anyone make anything for me?" Tyler asked, looking at his two younger siblings eating their breakfast.

"You have two arms and legs, right?" Kyle replied somewhat sarcastically.

Tyler shrugged and went to the refrigerator to find something for breakfast. As that happened, Kyle and Maxis glanced at each other.

The two youngest siblings didn't seem to appreciate having their older brother around them, at least not anymore.

That feeling came about after the first Ghostface attacks, because Tyler didn't come to see if they were okay. That feeling only grew after the second Ghostface attacks and also when both Kyle and Maxis graduated because Tyler didn't visit them during any of that either.

Tyler grabbed something to eat and then sat down at the table, asking the other two. "Did you two have fun last night at Dave and Buster's with your friends?"

Maxis shrugs as she takes a bite of her waffles and looked towards her brother, who had a response.

"It was okay, we got to meet with Shannon's cousin Brian, his friend Brock, and met her co worker Kaiden." Kyle said as he ate his cereal

After that, a few moments of silence passed before Tyler asked, "Well, how is work going for you, Maxis?"

"Well, it's kinda of boring because I'm stuck with all the stupid and lame work." She said while looking up at him

Not too long after that, Kyle checked his phone and got up. He set his empty bowl in the sink and then said goodbye to everyone because he had to go to work.

Maxis would soon follow his lead. She'd head back to her room to get ready for work and then she was off to the station.

***

After she arrived at the station, Maxis went to her desk and started flipping through the paperwork she had, most of it related to small crimes such as shoplifting and whatnot. As she did that, one of her work friends, and detective, John Keyes was making his way to her desk.