Chapter 7

The Next Week

It was 6:30 AM and Maxis Johnson was awake. It was somewhat unusual for her to be awake before her alarm went off, however for the past few days, that's how it's been for her.

Reaching over to the bedside table, she pulled her phone close and turned off the alarm before it could go off. After doing that, she remained laying in the bed, staring at the walls of Shannon's guest bedroom that she was staying in because neither Maxis or Kyle could go to their house, since it was still closed off for police investigation. Not like they'd want to be in that house at the moment anyway, since their older brother had been murdered in it, last week.

Taking a few minutes to wake up, Maxis got out of the bed and made her way to the kitchen. It was there that she'd see Shannon standing by the stovetop, cooking some eggs for everyone.

"You're up early again." Shannon said, smiling softly at the other female, after noticing that they came into the kitchen.

Maxis nodded, "Yeah, I guess." She said and shrugged before taking a seat at the table.

There was a few moments of silence as Shannon began to set plates of food down on the table for herself and Maxis. The two of them looked at one of the empty seats, knowing that they were still missing someone.

That caused Maxis to speak, "How is he?" She asked, referring to her brother, Kyle.

Shannon shrugged, "He really hasn't said much." She said, trying to hide her sadness. 

With Tyler's death, Maxis and Kyle grieved but they seemed to have different ways of going about it. Maxis tried to bury herself in work at the station, whereas Kyle pretty much isolated himself away from everyone else.

In fact, the last time Maxis even saw or verbally spoke to Kyle was the night of Tyler's murder, when they had to go to the station to be questioned, since Kyle was the first on the scene.

Maxis sighed but nodded before taking a bite of her food. She and Shannon both understood that people grieved differently, but they still had wished that Kyle would at least leave the bedroom he was in.

After finishing her breakfast, Maxis got up and set her plate in the sink. She said goodbye to Shannon, since she had to get ready to go to the station for work.

As Maxis left the kitchen and headed towards the guest bedroom to grab her things, she stopped at Shannon's (and Kyle's) bedroom. For a split second, she debated on going into the room and checking on him, but decided against it, as she didn't have a whole lot of time to be messing around before work.

When she had all of her belongings, Maxis left the house and got into her car, before starting it and driving off, towards the station.

***

Having arrived at the station, Maxis parked her car and turned it off, however she didn't get out just yet. Instead, Maxis opted to stay seated in the car and try to mentally prepare herself for the day ahead.

After a few moments, Maxis finally got out of her car and made her way into the station. Once inside, Maxis set her stuff down at her desk and went into the break room, where she'd pour herself a cup of coffee.

When she was done pouring her cup, Maxis headed back to her desk, where she'd grab some of the paperwork she was supposed to be working on.

As she does that, John walked over to her desk, "Good morning, Maxis."  He said, watching her just nod but not look up at him, "I think I have some somewhat good news." He added.

Having heard that, Maxis set her paperwork aside for a moment and finally looked up at John. She listened as he explained that he pulled some strings with the chief and managed to get Maxis assigned to the investigation around Tyler's murder.