Chapter 5

The Next Day

Maxis Johnson was awoken from her sleep by a sound. That sound being her alarm clock, which was now playing "Obstacles" by Syd Matters.

She let her alarm ring for a few minutes, only because she was enjoying the music. Once she had enough, she'd get up and head to the kitchen.

As she entered the kitchen, she saw both of her brothers already in the room. Kyle was already eating his breakfast, which was cereal. While Tyler was making himself a breakfast burrito.

"Ah, you're awake." Tyler simply stated, after hearing and seeing Maxis entering the kitchen.

Maxis nodded and sat down at the table with her own breakfast, which was a set of waffles again. Tyler would soon join his two siblings with his own food.

The three siblings sat in silence as they ate. This wasn't an uncommon occurrence, in fact it was rather normal for them to not say anything most of the time. After a few seconds passed, however, Tyler did eventually say something.

"You both got home late last night, where were you guys?" He asked, being genuinely curious.

Maxis glanced over at Kyle, surprised to find out that he had gotten home late, too.

"That stupid idiot Jaren." Kyle said, "He fucking called off yesterday. So I had to do my shit at the store and then do his as well, because if I didn't, it wouldn't have gotten done."

Maxis spoke next, "One of the people at the station offered to take me to dinner, so I accepted. I guess I didn't realize how late it actually was."

Tyler nodded and went back to eating. Not too long after that, Kyle got up from his seat and put his bowl in the sink. He was now heading for the door to leave. His grumbling about Jaren could be heard as he walked out.

Maxis would be the next to clear her plate. She'd then head into her room and get ready for work. As she did that, she got a text message from John. She opened the phone and read the message.

"Get here asap, something happened last night."

Maxis hurriedly finished getting ready and then she was out the door and into her car, driving towards the police station.

***

After a quick drive, Maxis arrived at work. She walked into the station and sat down at her desk. A few minutes after that, John walked over to her holding a folder in his arms.

"There's been another murder." John quietly said, "However I can't go into details about it." He added, "When you get the chance, can you pass this off to Jason or set it on his desk?" He asked while placing the file on her desk.

Without giving Maxis time to answer his request, John was already walking away. He was probably heading towards the break room to get himself a cup of coffee and a donut.

Maxis watched as John walked away. When he was out of her sight, Maxis quickly scanned the name on the file. Her eyes widemed after seeing that it was a familiar name. Kaiden Jones. Soon after that, Maxis was looking through the file quickly as she could. Her stomach soon dropped, however, upon seeing the photographs from the scene.

The two photographs that caught her attention the most were the one that had a familiar looking Buck hunting knife and the other was a picture of a message written out in blood, reading "I'm Back~".

Maxis quickly closed the file since she saw John coming back. She'd then get up, placing the file on the right desk before sitting back down, she sat there for a few moments with her stomach in knots as she tried to cope with the news of Ghostface being back, and how she was going to break the news to Kyle and Shannon.