Chapter 8 | Betrayal after Betrayal

A few hours ago... (night time)

Quackity, laden with apprehension, glanced around to ensure he wasn't being trailed. He feared there could be trouble if anyone saw him outside the walls. Stealthily, he entered the Manburg area, his mind wrestling with Tubbo's recent betrayal.

'This is no good. Why did Tubbo have to betray us?' he pondered, his steps measured as he tried to unravel the mystery behind the recent events. Suddenly, a man's enraged voice pierced the air.

"KEEP WORKING, YOU LAZY BUMS!!!!" The man with the black mask lashed out at the Manburg citizens, accentuating the oppression they endured.

On his left, another voice echoed with despair.

"NO MONEY, NO BREAD!!" The baker bellowed at a hapless customer.

"Please, we're very hungry. Most of our money went to taxes-" the customer pleaded.

"Do you think that I care??!!! NEXT CUSTOMER!!!" The baker's harsh retort reverberated, illustrating the cruelty within Manburg.

Behind him, another command was issued.

"Give us your money," a soldier demanded.

"Please... I have children. This is for their school supplies," another citizen implored.

"NO SCHOOL ALLOWED IN MANBURG. ONLY WAR!" One of the Manburg residents declared, setting the tone for the grim reality.

Quackity observed this unfolding spectacle, questioning the true nature of Manburg. Was it genuinely as bad as it seemed?

Quackity could've done something but he was not brave. The understanding that, as the president's assistant, he should have taken a stand against the cruelty engulfing Manburg fueled a surge of anger. The blind pursuit of power and wealth, symbolized by his position, now haunted him as he hurried back to the safety of his residence. He was blinded with greed and he should have his own country. He would take care of his people. Perhaps to save these people.

As he slammed his front door shut, Quackity accidentally knocked over a frame that held a picture of him and Schlatt in happier times. The image depicted a time when Quackity unwaveringly supported his best friend, Schlatt, through thick and thin, whether the decisions were good or bad. It made him ponder whether he should have continued on that path.

Haunted by memories of a time when Quackity didn't want to face bullying alone, Schlatt had come to his aid. Bruised and battered, Quackity found unexpected support when Schlatt confronted the bully, pushing him to the ground. This incident marked the beginning of a strong friendship that endured despite the challenges.

Picking up the broken frame, a key fell out, a discovery that seemed to hold the promise of a new beginning. Intrigued, he turned the key around, revealing an inscription: "To new beginnings. Lumina City...?" The accompanying keychain hinted at a casino, raising questions about how he came to possess it.

'Where did this key...come from?' he took a closer look at the key as he sighed. He is too tired to think of anything.

Placing the key in a secure location, Quackity contemplated the possibility of exploring this enigmatic venture in the future when time allowed.

Fatigued by the tumultuous events, he retired for the night, his mind buzzing with the prospect of Lumina City and the mysteries that awaited him.

»»--⍟--««

The next morning,

Quackity enters the white house like any other morning. Last night he tried to sleep but his questions about Tubbo's betrayal kept his mind awake. Knowing that Schlatt wouldn't listen to his advice to help the Manburg's citizens, he couldn't think of a way to start a conversation. He does remember that Tubbo betrayed them. He wants to see what Schlatt would say about it. He is a great president after all...right?