Chapter 3 - Nighttime Troubles

Charlie POV

I fell asleep that night like I always do and always want to, tucked under Nick's strong arms and my head in his hard chest. I know a lot of couples find it hard to stay cuddled up together when they sleep but it has always come naturally to me and Nick. I don't think either of us would want it any other way. Ever since we first got together I've always loved how much bigger and stronger he was than me. He could always pick me up and carry me for hours, making me feel protected in his embrace. The small times he picks me up now it reminds me of when I joined the rugby team because of him and how he'd pick me up and carry me around the field.

This is what I was dreaming about tonight when I heard a crying noise and woke up. I sit up and rub my eyes trying to wake myself to think straight. I was enjoying my sleep, that doesn't happen very often so when it does I try to make it last. The crying is coming from the baby monitor on my dresser. I grab my phone from the bedside table and see it's 11:48pm. Slowly waking up I realize that the crying is Millie's from her room, once I figured this out I jump up, put on one of Nick's hoodies and move hastily to my daughters nursery. I probably should have woken Nick up but her screams will probably wake him up too. Millie's screams get louder and I pick up my pace down the stairs to the kids floor. I burst open Millie's door to find my poor baby girl sitting up in her little bed sobbing so loud even with her pacifier between her lips, red and tear stained cheeks. Her tiny fists clutching the doll Nick gave her when she fell asleep. She pricks her hair up and her bed head is shown, her brown curls do get tangled when she sleeps. I walk toward her and pick her up into my arms. She is now crying into the crook of my neck and I can feel her warm tears run down my collarbone. I bounce her and try to calm her, whispering sweet nothings into her little ears.

"Shh shh shh sweet girl."

"It's okay...papa's here now."

"Calm down, baby."

As I'm rocking her, Nick walks in with just his pajama pants on, shirtless. I assume he heard me over the monitor and figured it out. He quickly catches on to me trying to comfort her and rubs her back soothingly. I'm still unsure of what's happened, and if I don't know Nick definitely doesn't. But it's probably either, she's thirsty, got scared of the dark, couldn't sleep, a nightmare or a combination of them. Soon her rapid breathing slows down and I hear her very aggressive suckles on her pacifier. I try to get her to talk to me.

"Can you tell Daddy and Papa what happened hunny?" And she brings her head out of my neck to look at me with wide blue eyes.

"Had a bad dream papa!" She sobs out, still in tears. I guessed right.

"Aww I'm sorry baby girl." Nick says and takes her into his arms and out of mine. Millie wraps her little arms around his neck and hides her face in his bare shoulders. Nick bounces and rocks her slowly. I know why Nick took Millie off me, he's shirtless and I'm very clearly not and skin to skin contact is really good for getting young kids to calm down. It's worked for both our kids like right now, Millie is back to normal.

Now as if this night couldn't get any worse, Alec walks into the doorway rubbing his eyes with fists and yawning. He's holding his special light green blanket that he's had since he was baby. He can't sleep without it and it's truly adorable. If Millie's screams woke us up from upstairs it definitely woke him up from two doors down. "Daddy what's happening." He mumbles tiredly.

"Millie had a nightmare and woke us up, sweetie." Nick tells Alec softly and he nods, then does something I wasn't expecting. He moved to me and wrapped his arms around my waist and put his face against my stomach, his blanket sandwiched between us. I guess he wanted cuddles? I coo at him and rub his hair with one hand and rub his back with the other. While all this is happening Nick has gotten Millie on her changing table.