Chapter 2: The Slums

It had been two years since y/n had left that house behind and cut all ties with the family.

You had changed your last name to f/l/n.

For a short time, you'd been homeless living on the streets of a district, some people called a neutral zone.

You realised even with your skills. You had a small problem. You didn't have proof of the said skills or work experience existed and no connections.

If you wanted to live in this city and protect yourself here. You'd need to dig deeper.

You thought back to one of the characters with short dark hair, round glasses, and suit. Ango. He was an ability user. He was also an agent infiltrated organisation.

There was one particular line of work he was about to do for the Port Mafia and something you'd take inspiration from.

An Informant.

Was it possible to find a person who taught the trade?

Surprisingly, you were able to find work as an apprentice for an informant with decent pay.

You were a little worried, might be slow, and the man was a tough one, but found it easier than expected to learn and adapt to it.

It almost gave your boss a heart attack when you handed in a mountain of report you'd revised. 

You admit it's not the first job you'd imagined but the only one willing to take in a minor. You'd take what you could get.

You had also been secretly learning more about your new ability, Ice Maiden. But you could only use it to a certain extent. It'd take years to master it.

When you saved enough money, you were able to enrol in a nice school and continue your studies part-time.

Even though you'd graduated high school in your past life and been to college.

If you were going to set up a life for yourself, especially in the future, when you join the agency. It wouldn't hurt to learn more about Japanese culture and have a high school diploma under your belt.

For the second half of your income, you were able to find a small cheap motel room for yourself. Having a roof over your head was better than in an attic. No one asked questions.

You finished your apprenticeship earlier than anticipated, your boss who'd you'd only known for those two months stern faced but a little sad to hand over the license and let you go.
.
.
.

You started a secret business of your own in a neutral lower part of Yokohoma. It was very close to the border of the Port Mafia territory, and on the other was another criminal group.

The neutral zone did not exist in the books you'd read or the anime, but you suspected it may have been the work of the fates. The area had a history. The mafia bossed have been trying to get it for more than fifty years but with no luck. Peace treaty in place.

Your new job was to collect information and sell it to the highest bidder as an informant.

You kept a cold exterior and professional manner when dealing with clients. Quickly drew in people from other groups seeking information on dealings.