CH2

"i know you. you'd do anything to save someone, just like you did 3 years ago"

02.2023_

"That was years ago. You're being ridiculous" Arin rolled her eyes, sitting down in the chair opposite her boss. It had been 3 years since the fire incident at the hospital, 3 years since she's had contact with the fire fighters, not that she remembered what any of them looked like.

"The parents sued you, Arin. They sued you. We're not going to sacrifice the hospitals image for you" Her boss also took a seat, shuffling through the stacks of paper on her desk

"I saved her!"

"They blame you for killing her"

"Listen" Arin placed her hand down upon the table, catching the attention of her boss "3 years ago. It was me, a firefighter and the teenage girl. Yes I didn't authorise the medication and still injected it in her. But the situation gave me no time to waste. I had to save her. I can't just let her die because I didn't go and authorise a stupid medication. I know she passed away recently, but it was because of undetected heart cancer, not my injection"

"Our patients are our clients, Arin. It's their way of coping, to blame you rather than themselves. They refuse to admit that they didn't check up enough on their daughter because then they'd seem like a bad parent. So they blame you instead. You and your unauthorised injection"

"If you know that, why are you still firing me?" Arin sighed a breath for exasperation, falling back into her chair.

"Because there's no other way to deal with this situation. This is the best I can do. I tried really hard to get you another job and trust me, this one is just as good"

"Wow. Please do enlighten me" Arin didn't seem convinced

"A paramedic. At a fire station. You're always running around whenever there's an emergency and I know you. You'd do anything to save someone, just like you did 3 years ago. It's perfect for you"

"What, working at a fire station?" She groaned "I like my job as it is. I didn't work my ass off to go to a shitty station"

"You'll have your own office and-"

"Wow thanks, my own office, how perfect." Her voice dripped with sarcasm "I already have my own office"

"Be grateful that we haven't fired you completely and still got you a job" The CEO's voice rose and her hand hit the table, startling Arin.

"Whatever"

;

"Stupid..." She dragged the suitcase up the hill "...Fire..." She wiped the sweat off her forehead "...Station...". With one heave, she pulled her suitcase up to the big gate of the station, placing her hands on her hips to regain her breath. Air punching the station, she screamed "Why the fuck are you up a hill!?"

Huffing, she strode through the gate and towards the main entrance, her entire body sweating from the heaving her luggage up the road. Glancing around, what she noticed first was the row of red trucks located in what seemed to be a massive garage. Everything here looked like it came straight out of the books — the building, the logo, the trucks, the flag that hung up high in the air. It did feel a bit surreal at the moment. Just as she pushed her way through the door, a man, dressed in a tidy navy blue uniform with a column of badges pinned down the side of his suit, greeted her. He sported a peaked cap that had a bright gold logo sewed to the front. His entire aura screamed honour and glory.

"You must be Miss. Hwa" He stuck out his hand, greeting the Arin who had barely caught her breath "I'm Taeyong, Marshal of Seoul Fire Station"

"Uh Yes, I am. Nice to meet you" Arin had to do the awkward wipe of the hand on her pants before shaking hands to rid of the sweat.

"If you would follow me, I'll show you around and show you your dorm and office" Taeyong smiled, gesturing to her. Arin sheepishly nodded, dragging the suitcase behind her as they walked down the corridor.

"To your right is our gym, on the left is the firefighters rest area" Taeyong nodded left and right. Arin didn't really bother to look, simply gazing briefly at the areas. She was more so struggling to keep up with his long strides.

"Down there is your office" Taeyong pushed open a small room with absolutely nothing in it. As in, there was a chair, a desk, and a hospital bed with curtains. The shelves were completely empty and the trays were all polished and clean.

"Ah" Disappointment was dripping from her voice. She was expected a somewhat bright looking room with all the equipment she had back at the hospital. This was far from it.

"You can settle in here for now. We barely get females in the station so your dorm is the last one down the other wing with the others. Let me know if you need anything" Taeyong lightly nodded with his finger holding his cap as a gesture of politeness

"Hey uh" She tapped Taeyong on the shoulder "What about the equipment...you know, doctor equipment"

"Our last doctor sacrificed in a fire accident, so she probably left most of the stuff in the cupboards." Taeyong mentioned, a little too casually to be talking about a death.

"Promising" She smiled, revealing a row of teeth. They soon bid their goodbyes as Taeyong left the room.

"This is going to be a long period of time" Arin sighed, scanning the room. It wasn't long till she got busy trying to set up everything, from syringes to all sorts of surgical equipment, it was finally looking a bit more like a hospital room.

A ring from her pocket caught her off guard. Rolling her eyes, she fished her phone out of her pocket, answering it.

"Jungwoo?"

"Hey. I went to your house and got told you left?"

"Got moved to work at a fire station. Don't bring it up with me. I'm already pissed as it is"

"Ah. A pity. I was going to invite you to dinner"

"Oh please. Go paint your artworks. I've known you for too long to know after that dinner, we're both going home drunk and both you and me will have hell of a day at work the next day"

"I'm bored. Leave me alone"

"What. No one wants a painting from the famous artist himself?" Arin took a seat, placing a photo on her desk. It was a photo of her and Jungwoo on highschool graduation. They've been friends since elementary school, and never been apart since. Same highschool, same uni, same apartment building. It's like they could never be separated.

"OK OK Whatever"

"If you have nothing to do, draw me. As I say, I am a masterpiece"

"Fuck you"

And they hung up. Arin chuckled, leaning back on the chair. Her butt barely touched the chair before she sprung up upon hearing a herd of footsteps storming her way.